Chapter 17

Stan was slightly overwhelmed and understandably upset. Kyle was hurting, and it was no surprise to him that it was because of his Mom, and while he didn't express just how angry he was at her for the insensitivity of her words yet again—because this wasn't the first time—he wanted to stay calm, for Kyle, he didn't need to feel any more stress than he was already feeling.

Stan just wanted to be able to help him through it, because God he knew what it felt like to battle inner demons on his own, and while he felt like he deserved to feel that pain, he most certainly knew that Kyle didn't. He gently stroked his fingers through his boyfriend's curls, loosening the knots as he slept, mind racing with so many different thoughts.

He knew how worried Kyle was about coming out to his Mom and family, and Shelia didn't really make it any easier with the dumb shit she was spewing all of the time, and it was in that moment he thought to himself that he should thank his own Mom when she comes home, for always supporting him even when he's being a little shit bag.

He didn't say it aloud, but he was also worried about how Kyle's Mom would react to the news that they were dating. He knew Kyle's religion was against homosexuality a very long time ago and that a lot of people still had that mindset, but with how supportive Shelia had been of Tweek and Craig when they got together 7 years ago, he guessed the emotion that became most apparent in his being was confusion, because if she's supportive of them, she should especially be supportive of her own child, right? So if she even dared to try and throw anything homophobic at Kyle he'd have to say something, because that's just downright ironic—but he also couldn't speculate if she was or wasn't.

He just wanted what was best for Kyle, and over the years, and probably in the time frame he and Kyle weren't friends anymore, she was most likely jumping down his throat about not only getting a girlfriend, but his grades and how he dressed and showed himself to the world. Of course all parents want their kids to be the best version of themselves, but the way Kyle's Mom acted about it all in his opinion, was barbaric. She'd lose her mind if his grades slipped by just one tiny percent, and he always wondered if it was her own self projection—if she wanted Kyle to be what she never could.

That doesn't give her an excuse, however, and it reminds him of those poor kids in that pageant show—Toddlers & Tiaras, was it?—he couldn't recall, there was so many out there which was just nasty; parents living their dreams through their kids, and he swore to some degree, Shelia was like that with Kyle and always had been, Kyle had even said it himself once when they were thirteen.

Stan knew Kyle probably better than anyone else, and he knew that even though he shouldn't, if Kyle's Mom could be supportive of his sexuality and relationship with Stan, he'd throw everything else away; discard it like it was never important—the screaming at him about grades, how he acted and dressed, the job she thinks he should have and who she wants him to be with—he'd throw all of that pain away if she accepted him for this one thing, and that hurt Stan beyond repair.

Cartman was usually never right, but there was one thing he said when they were kids that rung true; Kyle's Mom really was a bitch, the biggest bitch in the whole wide world.

She was always kind to him, and while Stan's sure she doesn't mean to be overbearing and pushy, she needed someone to sit her down and lay it all out on the table instead of just letting it slide; she was never going to understand that she was the problem unless someone actually told her or made it clear—maybe saying it outright like that was a bit too harsh—because none of these problems were going to be solved if someone didn't beat her with the painful words of reality.

He sighed, nuzzling his face down into Kyle's hair. He wished he could just take his pain away, every ounce of it, but that was also impossible, so all he could do was just be there whenever Kyle needed him and to always make it clear that he supported him and loved him: He loved him so much it was painful, but it was a pain worth feeling.