Chapter 48: With my Heart on the Trigger

Get out your guns, battles begun
Are you a saint, or a sinner?
If loves a fight, than I shall die
With my heart on a trigger

Angel With a Shotgun by the Cab

Luka pressed his phone against his heart. It had been two nights since the party. And a week since Adrien had last phoned him. He couldn't sleep, holding on to the possibility that Adrien might call. If he wasn't so worried about the lack of sleep Adrien subjects himself to already, he would be the one making a midnight phone call.

His heart leaped as the device started to vibrate against his chest. To his elation, the selfie of him and Adrien lit up his screen.

"Adrien?" He didn't worry about hiding his excitement.

"Seems like I didn't wake you up this time." Adrien smiled on the other end of the phone.

"Yeah, a lot on my mind." Luka only wanted to hear what Adrien had to say. He needed to fix whatever he had severed.

"Did it work?" Luka could tell that Adrien was struggling to keep his words steady.

"Did what work?" Luka sat up, as if the posture would help him think more clearly.

"Did it make you happier?" Adrien's breath started to hitch. "E-everyone th-thinks you two wu-would be b-b-better."

"It was a drunken mistake, I hate that I did that to you." He hated that Adrien saw, but he hated it even more that he knew if the man hadn't come he wouldn't have stopped. "And everyone else is wrong. I don't love Zoe, I love you." Luka's volume increased, infuriated that anyone would attack Adrien's self-worth.

Adrien broke into sobs. Luka knew if Kwamis could be caught through technology that he would hear Plagg soothing Adrien.

Once Adrien's breaths evened, Luka started talking again. "Why- why do you keep doing this? Keeping us apart? It's obvious that neither of us want it."

Though he knew the answer, he wanted to hear it.

"I just... I kept hurting you." Luka could nearly see the way Adrien's face would have drooped.

"I could always handle it. As long as I was with you." Luka tugged at the strings on his Chat Noir pants.

"I miss you." Adrien sniffled, knowing their call would be ending soon.

"I miss you too, Prettyboy. I'll see you tomorrow at the meeting, okay?" He was heartbroken to have to say goodbye, but maybe tomorrow would finally be his chance.

"Se-see you." Adrien devolved into tears as he struggled to hang up the phone.

Nathalie flipped her pen, aware of the tension in the room, but choosing not to acknowledge it. She laid out the images of the finished designs, in awe of the ingenuity of the three in the room. How far they have all come since they were in high school.

"I think they are going to love these designs at fashion week. Luka, I love how you managed to include pieces of a violin to work as a backing. Marinette, you implemented Luka's ideas flawlessly, I can tell you two worked together closely on this."

"Thank-you!" Marinette beamed. "Dance with me Nathalie!"

The entire room craned their necks in confusion. Obviously Nathalie wasn't going to dance with Marinette.

"Um... I think I'll pass on that today... but I am glad that you're so, uh... excited." Nathalie was struggling under the absurdity of the request.

"Well, we couldn't have done it without the direction from Adrien! It was an amazing idea!" Luka tried to direct some of the compliments to Adrien.

"Tell me," Marinette leaned over the table to Luka, encroaching on his personal space, "did you deny your solo contract because of design week?"