Chapter 9

"What has gone wrong?" Sakura tightens her hold on Itachi's jacket and pulls it closer around her shoulders as she notices him slumped over with his head in his hands and muttering words that she can only just make out as "should have stopped" and "sorry." He is trembling as much as she is, and Sakura is unsure whether to reassure him or urge him to regain his composure right now because she is freaking out.

Itachi slows his breathing and raises his head to face her, giving her his most consoling look, his eyes so sad that Sakura's own water up, and she barely knows why. She sees so much of Sasuke in him, but when he meets her eyes, she sees her own distorted reflection.

"I'm sorry," he says. "Let's talk somewhere else."

He parks his car in front of a small general store, two sets of one table and two chairs outside its entrance. Itachi introduces Sakura to one chair as insects buzz around the street light opposite to it.

"We're almost closing up."

"Sorry for the trouble, granny." Itachi rubs his neck and smiles, one barely there. "You can go ahead. I just need two drinks." He turns to Sakura. "Coffee?"

"No. I want to sleep tonight. If I can."

Itachi can't help the anguish building up in his heart, finding Sakura so heartbroken and vulnerable, and for being able to nothing but stand and watch her run her palms over her arms as she resists another shudder.

"Don't worry," he says, trying to sound as certain as he can. "You're safe now. And let me get you some warm milk."

He squats down, puts two beer cans on his front, and a warm milk glass in front of Sakura. She wraps her palm around it, hoping it'll warm her hands enough to stop them from trembling.

"Sorry. I might need a drink. You can have some too, if you want." Sakura shakes her head in a 'No', and Itachi nods in understanding.

"First. Let me ask you this straight up. Are you and Sasuke in on something?"

Sakura flinches, the hair on her arm standing up as she struggles to keep Itachi from noticing her ragged breath. She was afraid this was coming. She ought to have come up with an explanation en route. But a part of her, a part she doesn't want to reveal to the world, wants to be selfish. It's asking why exactly she should protect Sasuke at this point. He would be the only one responsible for the repercussions, and she might be liberated from this emotionally taxing way of life. But she restrains herself, bites her tongue, and endures the deafening silence, which makes her detest herself even more.

"Sorry. Let me rephrase that. Did Sasuke ask something of you?"

She clenches her fists.

"It's okay. You can tell me. I won't tell anyone, if that's what you want. I'll do whatever suits you."

A tear streams down her eye, and her chin trembles. Any other day, she might have been a little stronger, but today, she finds herself defenseless against her own feelings and Itachi's reassuring words. She lets herself be comforted by Itachi's promise and nods. Maybe it was because of Ino's absence today.

He had an inkling, but his eyes still water and his heart still breaks. Itachi stares down at his hands, his powerless, despicable hands.

His throat runs dry as he brings his next question to the tip of his tongue: "Did he ask to pretend... to be a happy, married couple?"

Sakura nods again, no longer just sniffing. Her face, wet with tears, glows under the lamp's illumination.

Itachi finds it hard to contain the gasp that leaves his mouth. His knuckles go white as he attempts to contain his anger and disappointment. He must not let it be directed towards Sakura, especially because not only is none of it her fault, but she is the biggest victim of it. It is evident that she had the chance to run, to cheat, or to expose Sasuke, but instead, she tried her hardest to play along with everything, even at the cost of herself. He can tell why.