4.5

A nearby office block exploded into flames, it happened so quickly that Akira never saw the initial impact.

The screams however, were enough. Yoru disappeared from the target but Akira was sure any people who'd seen it happen would surely have took photos and videos of it. Flames and smoke bellowed, sirens rung through streets as fire engines all began roaring into action. Akira couldn't see much, but he'd caught a glimpse at the damage whenever he got a chance to turn. Luckily to add to it, the flames had caught from the very top of the building.

More chance of survivors Akira thought to himself, bike still screaming under him. The exhaust was starting to smoke, wheels going a little too bare for liking. He hadn't had the thing serviced in a while, it was his own damn fault.

More sirens ripped through the air, along with the screech of a dragon's wails. Helicopters had suddenly joined the chaos, two police ones to be precise were now circling around Yokohama. Akira was pretty certain the press would be crawling all over the city within the next hour as well, the DRA too if he wasn't quick enough.

A wild dragon appearance would always be notified to the DRA, they were both in dangerous water now.

"YORU RETURN-" Akira screamed before he was cut off, the wiz of bullets through the air adding to the blur of despair around him. The police were shooting at him, no, not just him.

Yoru screamed with such might the ground rumbled below. Akira struggled to keep his balance, his eyes scanning the sky to the dragon who'd just been shot at midflight. DRA helicopters soared through the buildings, these vehicles bigger than the average helicopter but more agile and able to navigate and withstand tasks such as intercepting dragons in downtown Yokohama. Totally normal things.

"THE DRA ARE TRYING TO CONTACT DRAGON RIDER RESERVES NOW CAPTAIN, THEY SAID THEY CAN BE HERE WITHIN 20 MINUTES!!" his police radio went off again, the clash of sounds making his ears ring over and over. Akira knew he was running out of time, the DRA were already here, police swarming him like ants in a nest, all in all it was hell on earth.

But Akira forgot his secret weapon, who's secret had shattered before him minutes ago.

Yoru was still here, luckily with no visible wounds as far as Akira could tell. She instantly located Akira, even mid air whilst being tormented by DRA, who had tried to reach her multiple times already. Yoru quite frankly was at her limit, the beast visibly agitated and snapping everytime something came close to her.

"YORU, A LITTLE HELP OVER HERE!" Akira roared as he clocked the sign for the Bayshore route. He could taste a spec of freedom, all he needed to do now was lose the police...

Akira felt the pain before his brain registered what had happened.

Bike going one way and body another, Akira screamed out for his dragon as he spun through the air. Colliding with concrete came next, his ribs taking the most force as he fell sideways to earth. He only heard his bike bounce off the tarmac with an almighty crunch, he was sure a wheel flew past him at one point. The pure force of the whole crash completely knocking him down, his whole body frozen and sprayed across the ground.

Taking his eyes of the road for just a glimpse of the situation had catastrophic consequences. Akira couldn't move, couldn't lift his head, let alone walk. This was it, this was the end. He knew the police had caught up with him when the cars stopped meters away, the only thing protecting him now was the crash helmet that was almost suffocating him.

"DONT ATTEMPT TO MOVE!" The rise of multiple guns rung just as loud as one being fired, Akira sweating under his helmet. He needed to move, he needed something to escape this absolute nightmare.

"DRAGON INCOMING!" Yoru. He'd forgotten Yoru. The moment he'd plummeted to the ground everything else but himself had also shattered, only his escape on his mind as he lay helpless. But Yoru, his dragon and his protector, was here for him. She'd always be here for him.

Her shrieks stirred trouble, and all the police present ran for cover the moment she came flying over.

Akira wouldn't remember much more, his only memories for the rest of that day were Yoru sweeping him and his bike up in her claws, before they soared into the skies and into nothing in seconds.

.
.
.
.
chapter 4.5, end.
please feel free to comment, vote & share <3