𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

c h a p t e r f i v e
"The Pink Dread"

THE THREE KIDS awaited excitedly to hear from the maids concerning their mother

THE THREE KIDS awaited excitedly to hear from the maids concerning their mother. They were seated around the table, where the dragon egg for the princess's newborn child was awaiting, and Visenya had gladly accepted to read to Luke a tale of Old Valyria from his favorite book. Jace was sitting next to her, his head laying on her shoulder as the girl read to his brother, who never failed to not look surprised whenever she spoke High Valyrian.

"And then..." Visenya trailed off, a smirk forming on her lips. "The young prince sees a big, scary dragon!" The girl threw her hands to the sides of the younger prince and started tickling him, making Lucerys burst into laughter.

"Mother!" It was Jace who spoke up now once the door slowly opened, and the two kids let go of each other.

"Mother..." Lucerys approached excitedly his mother as she headed to the cushion in the middle of the room. "Look!"

"We chose an egg for the baby," Jace announced, opening the lid and revealing the dark-scaled egg that the three kids had just brought from the Dragonpit, and Rhaenyra smiled at her sons.

"Ah, that looks like the perfect one!" The princess grabbed Ser Harwin's arm while she tried to sit down. The man was with them ever since they returned, and he too awaited the princess' arrival.

"Visenya helped us choose!" Jace added and the girl grinned softly as she bit the inside of her mouth and looked at the princess.

"It was mostly Luke, though," Visenya noted and she glanced at the baby. "Congratulations, Princess."

"Thank you, sweet girl," Rhaenyra smiled at the girl, but Visenya's attention quickly fell to Luke who had just tried to touch the hot egg. Both she and Jace were quick to stop the younger boy from burning his hand, and they shared a smile.

"It is not every day that an egg leaves the Dragonpit, Princess," Ser Harwin spoke as the two older kids scolded Luke quietly. "I thought it best to escort the lads and the princess."

"Laenor and I thank you, Commander."

The commander smiled at the princess as he spoke up again. "Another boy, I heard," Rhaenyra nodded her head, and the man turned his attention to the baby sitting in Laenor's hands. "What a fine knight you'll make, eh?"

Visenya had fixated her eyes on the baby, Joffrey was his name as Rhaenyra had just announced, and she smiled as she watched Ser Harwin smile down at the boy in his arms. It was a very special moment for her; she felt like part of a family, a family that doesn't consist of two people as it used to. It's not her mother and her anymore, because her mother is dead, but the Velaryons were giving her exactly what she hoped she'd one day have. Jacaerys and Lucerys asking her to share such an important moment with them, and Rhaenyra and Laenor allowing her to be present in moments so private that she'd never witnessed such, warmed her heart, almost bringing tears of happiness in her eyes. Rhaenyra had built a perfect family that the girl admired, and she had happily welcomed her in its warmth; the kind of warmth she had never felt before.