Chapter 12

Jami's pov

After we were sat down with some KFC, we were talking about movies. I screamed in excitement,"A SCARY MOVIE!!!!" I heard Julia groan and she said,"I hate scary movies." Luckily, Henry and Tyler were on my side with this, so we were watching 'The Others'. Every time something would happen, she would squeal or hide in Anthony's chest. We would all laugh, until Anthony or Julia would glare at us. Finally, the movie ended and we headed up to our rooms. I got into some soffe shorts and a tank top. I crawled into bed and Tyler came out of the bathroom in some sweats. He got into bed next to me and I kissed his lips gently. I whispered, "Good night" before laying my head on his chest and closing my eyes. I felt his lips on my head and heard him whisper,"Night babe." That was the last thing I heard before I fell asleep.

I woke up when I heard a phone ringing. I opened my eyes, reaching over for the phone. Without checking caller id, I answered. "Hello?" I heard crying on the other end of the line, and my eyes widened in surprise. I slipped out of bed, going down stairs and standing on the front porch. "Who is this?" I asked, confused. "Honey, it's your dad, Steve. I have a problem." I scoffed and said in a cold voice,"Why should I help you?" I heard him let out another strangled cry, before saying,"Remember how three years ago we got that call about your mother being dead in the car accident?" I nodded and said,"Yeah, what about it?" He whispered,"The doctors lied. She left the hospital, going back home to live with her mom. She told the hospital if I asked, she died." I gulped back the tears that were begging to be set free and said,"Why? Did she not care about us? And how can I trust you?" He whispered,"Please, honey, just listen-" I rolled my eyes and said,"I'm not your 'honey' my name's Jami, lets use it. Bye Steve." I hung up and locked my phone. I sat down and sighed. 'What if he isn't lying?' I covered my face and let out a small sob. One part of my mind said 'who cares, we don't want her either' but my heart says 'she is my mom and I miss her.' I sighed and took a few deep breaths. I wiped away a few tears that escaped, and went into the house. By now, everyone was awake. Their heads turned towards me and I managed a smile before saying,"I'm going to take a shower." They nodded, oblivious to what I was feeling. I went upstairs and took a shower.

I got out and grabbed my undergarments, a pair of light jean shorts and an off the shoulder leopard print top. I put my black vans on and tied my hair into a loose side pony tail. I went back down stairs and said,"I'm going to the park." Tyler called,"Want me to come with you honey?" I shook my head no and walked out the door, putting my head phones in and going to iTunes. 'The A team' by Ed Sheeran came on. I hummed along as I walked to my park. I walked up and saw it. My safe haven. I went and curled up into a ball onto the picnic table and cried.