The Sun Met The Moon

"Wake up, Sunshine." Macaque poked a napping Wukong's nose. "I finished setting up the play!" The younger monkey was wearing a cloak and had his glamour down. His fluffy tail was swaying as he continued his attempts to wake the other monkey.

The king blearily blinked and stretched. "What?" Wukong froze mid-stretch as he admired an unglamored and excited Macaque. What a pleasant way to wake up.

"Remember? I promised to give you a shadow play. I finished setting it up early." The taller monkey practically bounced on his feet as he waited for Wukong to get up. "Come on, Wukong!" He grabbed the king's hand and started pulling him towards the cave. "I think you'll really like this one!"

Wukong watched Macaque ramble on about the new tricks he figured out for the play with a little smile. He gets so excited about his shows. It's adorable. "What's the play about, Liu'er?" He allowed Macaque to pull them to the waterfall, the younger monkey activating the spell and leading Wukong to the Stage.

The Stage cave was something Wukong set up for Macaque a little over one hundred years ago. There was a large hole in the upper part of the wall, allowing sunlight to stream in and a large flat surface where the sun landed. There were small stone seats for all the little monkeys to sit and watch, and a larger stone seat for Wukong. Before the seats was a small stage. The king had spent a week carving out the rock from the wall and another week smoothing out the wall behind it. A small podium sat next to the stage, upon which sat a purple lantern. Large black drapes hung around the cave, creating a warm atmosphere. There were a few little monkeys already sitting down excited for a new show from the shadow monkey.

"It's a surprise, Peaches!" Macaque chuckled as he all but shoved the shorter monkey into his seat. "I left some snacks by your seat." Wukong glanced down and saw some peaches and plums. While everyone knew of his love for peaches, Macaque was the only one that knew his other favorite was plums. He sat back in his seat and watched the younger monkey lift the lantern and stand in front of the podium.

With a wave of his hand the theater filled with shadows. The little monkeys cheered as the shadow user smiled. The lantern started to float before Macaque as he cleared his throat. He raised his arms and behind him an image started to form.

"This is a story that started long ago. Back at the creation of the universe. A tale of two very unique individuals and how they found belonging with each other."

As Macaque spoke, the shadows changed behind him. Wukong gazed at it awestruck as the silhouettes of two monkeys ran across the wall, meeting in the middle.

"At the dawning of time a sacred rock was placed at the top of a mountain, in the center of a pond that feeds into a small waterfall. For hundreds of years the rock basked in the flow of celestial light. Until one day the rock shone with the burning intensity of the sun and cracked. Revealing a smaller stone. But this stone was no ordinary pebble. It was a stone egg and from it burst out a stone monkey!"

The image of Flower Fruit Mountain formed adorned with a large floating boulder at the top. Wukong gaped with the monkeys as the rock split in two leaving a oval in its place. As the egg hatched and the shape of a monkey was spun into existence the audience all gasped and cheered.

"This stone monkey was as radiant as the sun itself. And was flowing with joy at it's new existence. Even newly born it knew it's manners and bowed to the four directions. Accidentally sending a beam of light into the very heavens."

The shadow on the wall seemed to laugh as it looked around. And as Macaque said it bowed and unleashed a beam of purple light towards the audience. The monkeys cried out in delight. Wukong smirked at the smug grin on the performers face. He's so dramatic.