Chapter 13

Now we have to line up in register order. I'm at the front and Drew is only a few people up, but we still have to separate. He kisses my forehead and leaves.
Austin taps me on the shoulder and hugs me from behind. I giggle and turn around so that we can hug in a friendly way; so people don't think something is going on between us.
"Hey, how are you?" I ask, pulling away from the (to long) hug.
"Good, I'm good! How are you?" He lifts his left eyebrow.
"Yeah, I'm cool." I say, and pull away completely so we aren't touching. That's When I smell the alcohol, well that explains the weird behaviour!
"Okay, speeches we need you!" Mr Oeaas screams. I jostle out of thought and run over to him.
Georgia and I stand side by side until we are put into our line. I am to say my speech first. Then a girl from my english set; Jan, a boy from my maths class; Billy and then another girl from my English called Nizza. The others are strangers to me. Georgia goes 7th.
"And here to share to you her memories, and her time here in school, is Charlotte Binee." Mrs Fisher shouts over the roar of the crowd and I am ushered(out of the curtain) onto the stage.
I stumble out, and immediately spot my mother in the crowd.
"Hello," I say when I reach the microphone, "I'm Charlotte Binee. Roughly six weeks ago I was asked to write a graduation speech, and I was shocked; if I'm being honest! I was terrified, kind of like I am now! I wasn't sure what I was going to say; and I still don't, so I am just going to go with the flow.
Ok, when I was 5 years old my father asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I know that I answered, 'princess'. He Asked again when I was 10 and I said that I wanted to be a pop star. Now I am asked again, by multiple people, what do I want to be now ? I can't answer. the thing is, I don't know what I want to do, or what I want to be, and I most definitely don't know what my future holds. We just have to take each day as it comes.
A few years ago I lost my father to a car accident, and it felt like my whole life had been ripped into shreds. But, at the end of the day, you learn to lose a family member or a friend, to gain a family member or a friend.
I have made many good friends who I know that I will keep for the duration of my life. I have a loving boyfriend," I can't push myself to say the word 'fiancé' just yet, "that is always there for me and helps me when I need help; and that's all i ask for.
Life isn't about finding your self. Life is about creating yourself.
Have a lovely day." I smile, wave, and walk off the stage.
The claps are so loud that my ears hurt. As soon as I am behind the curtains, I am engulfed in hugs. I can make out one of the voices that are congratulating me; Nate. I look up and straight into his eyes.
"NATE!" I scream, and hug him back, not looking at anyone else, "I've missed you! Where have you been?"
"Sorry, babe, just been out and about a lot recently. I've got something to tell you though." he says, pulls away and moves slightly to the left. I see Cara standing awkwardly behind him,"me and Cara are dating!"
It takes me a moment to register what he just said, "wow! That's amazing, I'm happy for you both!"
I am. I am really happy. They will make the best couple ever. Maybe this relationship will make my feelings for Nate disappear.
Then I find Drew with Kenna. They are just speaking, but I see the way her hand twitches towards his. I leave them to it, hoping he gives her the slap she deserves.
"Thanks, Char." Cara hugs me tightly and kisses me on the cheek, "we really need to catch up."
"Yeah, we do. Drew is throwing a graduation party tomorrow, you are coming aren't you?" I raise my left eyebrow.
"'Corse I am." she winks and locks her hands with Nate's. I feel jealous but I know it's because I used to do that with Nate when we were young.
"Ok, I'll see you then?" I ask, they both nod and I make my way over to Drew.
Kenna gives me a dirty look, but I ignore it. As soon as I reach my fiancé, I wrap my arms around his neck and forcefully kiss him. He kisses me back, but only softly. Kenna coughs like we forgot she was there and he pulls away.
"Drew, darling, I really need to speak to you alone." she says, folding her arms, "don't get me wrong, your fiancé should know, but I just want you to know. I'll see you at your party tomorrow night, yes?"
"You aren't invited." he chokes.
"I will see you there."