Chapter 3: Work This Out

In the kitchen, everyone was dressed out and ready to clock in for their first day of work. Kim was especially excited for his first day. "You know, I'm hoping chef Micheal will teach me the art of Austrian Flake Pastry. And Chloe's gonna be where I work everyday! It can't get much better than that." He told Adrien and Nino as he was sitting on the counter of the employee break room.

Adrien simply glanced at him, not saying much. He continued to button up his baby blue button down uniform.

"Trust me it could be a lot better." Nino remarked snidely as he made fun of Kim.

"What?" Kim questioned. "You know, if you actually get to know her-" He tried to defend.

"Dude..." Nino interrupted him, cueing him to stop.

"Well, she's not so bad whenever she's not thinking about herself or performing. Deep down she's a really good person." Adrien peeped up.

"You know, it would be a nice heads up to know that she and her family own this place before I agreed to this." Nino complained.

"Sorry man," Adrien quickly apologized. "This opportunity came up out of nowhere. Monsieur Jean just called me and told me that there were jobs available. So I said 'why not'?" Adrien explained proudly.

He had unknowingly attracted Monsieur Jean's attention who was standing right behind him. "That's very inspiring of you Monsieur Agreste." Adrien quickly turned around, looking kind of spooked for a second before recovered and gave him a polite smile. "However, what we're looking for from all of you is pure excellence. You are to be absolutely exceptional at all times. Do we understand each other?"

"Yeah- I mean, yes sir." Adrien quickly corrected himself.

"Excellent. Now, let's confirm assignments." He took hold of the aprons that were draped over his forearm and handed one to Adrien and Nino. "Agreste, Lahiffe. You will be waiters and, when needed, caddies." 

The well-groomed man then made his way back into the kitchen and pulled Alya aside, who had been standing nearby. "Miss Cesaire, I've been told that you're quite efficient."

Alya smiled and nodded proudly, but before she could respond he shoved a clipboard into her hands. "Prove it. You'll be in charge of handling all member activities. You will keep me in sight at all times." He demanded as he gave her a stern look.

Then he looked around and spotted Juleka sitting nearby and enjoying her lunch. "Miss Juleka," He called out as he made a beeline for her. "Lunch breaks will be kept brief, so taking your sweet time is a big no-no." He instructed her as grabbed her spoon and bowl of pudding from her hands. "Now, when you're at the piano you are to play mood music. Meaning the members don't want to hear any new concoctions of yours that you call music, yes?"

Juleka felt uneasy as she nodded and walked off.

Then, he moved onto Mylène. "Ah, Mylène, chopping, cutting, preparing plates." She respectfully smiled back at him in her little kitchen hat and coat. "Do make sure all your phalanges remain on you instead of in the food. The last thing we need is members' meals being spoiled."

"Kim!" The man called out before turning around to see that Kim was already in his face awaiting instructions. He quickly handed him a chef hat of his own. "You will be assisting Chef Micheal."

Kim eagerly took the hat from him without question and left after giving him a salute.

Then Nino had approached Monsieur Jean again. " Uh Monsieur Jean, dude, uh, sir. Would it be ok if we, like, draw straws to see who has who has to wait on Chloe?" Nino asked hopefully.

"None of you will be waiting on Chloe." Monsieur Jean told everybody strictly. The news almost made Nino relieved until listened further. "You will be serving Miss Bourgeois." The man instructed.