14

Shadow's P.O.V.
I slumped down onto the couch, rubbing my face. Everything was starting to overwhelm me. Sonic would usually be able to calm me down after work, but he wasn't with me.

I messed up... badly.

There was a sudden knock on the door.

I stood up and answered it. Rouge was standing there, crossing her arms.

"We need to talk." She spoke lowly.

I rolled my eyes, "I know that you are here to lecture me about what I did to him. There is no need to remind me about it."

"Really? You aren't even going to try and help your own relationship?" Rouge scoffed and let herself in, shutting the door behind her.

"I messed up, Rouge." I sighed, "He deserves better than someone like me."

"Shadow, this is your relationship that we are talking about here." Rouge pointed out.

I scoffed, "The only reason that we are even in a relationship is because of my damn mission. It was never supposed to last."

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Rouge scowled, "He is your boyfriend!"

"He was never supposed to be!" I growled.

"You are just some selfish asshole!" Rouge shouted at me.

"I have only ever tried protecting him! This was never meant to happen!" I argued.

"You honestly expect me to believe that you were protecting him?" She scoffed.

"Why do you think I kept our relationship a secret from the commander? I didn't want him to fire me, but I also wanted to protect Sonic!" I sighed, "But now I realize that he is more important than some stupid job."

"He is your boyfriend, Shadow. He should always be more important." Rouge said.

"I was afraid of losing him." I admitted, "But losing my job was..." I shook my head and ignored those selfish thoughts, "You're right. Sonic is more important."

"Thank you." Rouge placed her hand on my shoulder, "Sonic would appreciate that."

Sonic...

"I have to fix this." I teleported upstairs, grabbed what I needed and quickly left.

———

"Commander." I placed the uniform and gun down on his desk, "I quit."

"May I ask why?" The commander said, leaning back in his chair.

"My current mission has caused nothing but trouble for me." I sighed heavily.

"Reasonable." The commander said, "You can leave my office now."

"But I would like one more request regarding Sonic." I crossed my arms, "Do not involve him in any of your missions."

"Of course." The commander nodded.

"Thank you." I left his office. Rouge was waiting outside for me.

"How did it go?" She asked.

"I finally quit." I replied.

Rouge smiled, "I knew you had a heart."

"Remember, I only did it for Sonic." I nudged her arm with my elbow, "Not you."

She rolled her eyes, "Of course you did."

"But what should I do now? Sonic might not forgive me, especially after what happened with our relationship." I looked away.

"Sonic still loves you deep down." She said, "Prove to him that you love him back."

I nodded, "I'm going to fix this."

Sonic's P.O.V.
I can't believe Rouge saw me like that... what will she think of me now? Thoughts filled my mind as I hugged my pillow close to me.

I have always hated being alone. Being with Shadow made it better for me. Finally having someone to understand me besides Tails.

But now that he is gone... I feel alone.

Again...

I suddenly felt weight on the bed, causing me to quickly turn my head around.

"Sonic," Shadow was here, cupping my face in his hands as he looked down at me.

"Get away from me!" I snapped and turned my head away, pushing him with no avail.

"Please stop." Shadow grabbed my wrists and held them in place, "I love you."

"I hate you!" I growled.

"Please listen to me." Shadow insisted.

"I don't want to hear it!" I glared at him.

"You can hate me all you want, but please listen to me." Shadow pleaded.

"What the hell do you want?" I hissed.

"Sonic, I'm sorry about everything. I may have lied about our entire relationship and manipulated you, but I never lied about loving you. You are everything to me, and I never want to lose you." Shadow explained.

"You tried to kill me!" I shouted.

"If I didn't love you, I would have shot you at that exact moment! But you are still here, in my arms!" Shadow let go of my wrists and hugged me, "I love you so much, Sonic."

"You are lying..." I mumbled.

"I'm not lying. I quit my job right now just to prove that to you." Shadow held me tighter.

"You did?" I asked him.

"Of course I did." Shadow responded and pulled away from the hug, "I love you."

"I don't know..." I looked away.

"I do love you, Sonic." Shadow forced me to look him in the eyes, "I always have."

"But..." I mumbled lowly, "If you loved me so much, why would you try killing me?"

"I was being selfish and put some stupid mission before my own boyfriend." Shadow sighed and cupped my face in his hands.

"Just leave me alone." I pushed his hands away from my face, "Mhm!"

Shadow abruptly kissed me, his hands gently caressing my waist. I couldn't help but melt into his touch, kissing him back as my arms wrapped around his neck. Our bodies were dangerously close, enough to send shivers down my spine, questioning his next move.

Shadow pulled away from the kiss and gazed into my eyes, "You are still beautiful."

"Do you really mean that?" I spoke lowly.

"Yes my love." Shadow kissed my cheek.

"Shadow..."

"What is it?"

"I love you."

"I love you more."

———

THE END