2021 - Yellow Belt Champion @0liviaRose436

The Games of Children by 

The warm summer breeze wasn't enough to cause the hair on my neck to bristle. As I gazed to the park below, I tensed, thinking of the danger the children playing didn't even realize was nearing.

"There is nothing quite like the sound of children's laughter." His voice sent a chill down my spine, but I let out a slow breath to hide the reaction. I couldn't afford to show weakness.

"Surprising statement coming from you," I murmured without taking my eyes away from a little girl skillfully dodging a seeking boy's gaze.

"Oh, you think my heart is so blackened that I can't enjoy the simple pleasures of life." His words came on the crest of a laugh shattering any pretense of a question. "I would think you would be the one with a questioning gaze. Wasn't it a similar scene that led you to the permanent scar of blood on those pretty little porcelain hands?"

The image of the innocent hot dog vendor clutching his stomach as a sickly slow seep of blood stained his shirt burned in my brain. My fingers instinctively curled, cruelly and painfully dragging my nails along the cement bridge.

"We are not the same. Don't pretend to understand me," I managed through clenched teeth.

"Darling, I could help you; foster these gifts you have. Perhaps, I could even assist in preventing another unfortunate event from plaguing you. Tell me, has sleep returned yet?" As he spoke, he pinched a tendril of my hair that was blowing in the breeze. The back of his icy finger grazed across my temple, nearly destroying my false resolve.

"Why are you here? Surely destruction in such an innocent place is too wicked even for you."

"Destruction, like many things, is a matter of perception. Perhaps, I am charitable. You and I have evolved; we have risen from the muck of those beneath us to breathe fresher air."

"So, we might as well crush them to prove our rise? Even these children?"

"Is it better that they go quickly than be fed a delusion of their worth?"

"Our abilities make us different, not better. Our skills should be used for good. It does not diminish us to help others instead of crushing them."

"Tell me, this little girl you are so intently watching, she's quite skillful at remaining undetected by that little boy. Does that make her evil for withholding what he is seeking? She could reveal himself with no material lost to herself and make him happy. Is she cruel for her treatment of him?"

"Is that what matters of life and death are to you; nothing more than childish games?" I managed to lift a seemingly steady gaze to his unwavering eyes as I spoke.

"Isn't that what life is; a series of games until you lose? Everyone must lose, darling. It's riveting, isn't it?" His eyes gleamed with excitement.

"What's riveting?"

"One of us is looking at our slayer. The game is afoot, love."