PROLOGUE: 1899

________________________________

"The heart was made to be broken"- Oscar Wilde________________________________

- Oscar Wilde
________________________________

My brother was so excited to be attending Shadowhunter Academy.

It frustrated me quite a bit. Why did he get to attend while I had to stay home? That was hardly fair. I was training to be a shadowhunter too, I should get to train at a good school too.

Nonetheless my parents didn't care and my protesting did nothing. The only thing that I was happy about was that my twin sister, Lucie was also not attending the academy. Lucie had been disappointed, the two of us had done quite a bit of complaining, no one seemed to care though.

Our parents couldn't leave us at home while they took James to the academy so me and Lucie were forced to come along. At least I got to see the school.

"Cassidy, at least try to smile." I looked up at my mother, Tessa, she was staring at me with a sorry look.

"How can I? It's unfair that James gets to go but I do not." I stared my mother down.

"We've already been over this, your father with train you. He is an excellent shadowhunter, you do not need to attend the academy." I rolled my eyes.

"I do not appreciate you rolling your eyes at me, young lady." Tessa said, her eyebrows raised.

"Whatever." I muttered under my breath as their carriage pulled up to the academy.

Tessa, Lucie and I exited the carriage, my father, Will, helping us down. James was off speaking with our cousins, Thomas and Christopher. I tugged Lucie's for her to follow me as I moved towards my cousins and brother.

Christopher gave me a wide, toothy smile when I joined their group. Christopher had to be my favourite cousin, he was always so kind, and he was very smart, always helping me with equations I didn't know.

"Lucie, Cassidy, I didn't think you guys would be coming." Thomas said.

"Mother made us come, and besides I've always wanted to see the academy!" Lucie squealed.

"It truly is as big as you say, Thomas." I said, looking up at the building.

"I wonder how many times I will get lost." James said, humour in his voice.

"Knowing you, James, you'll be missing a few classes." A voice said from behind them. The boys and Lucie laughed.

"How wonderful, Matthews here." I muttered under my breath, rolling my eyes.

"I see you've missed me, Cassie." I turned around to meet the blonde boy standing behind me. His green eyes glowed with amusement.

"Gosh, I am so thrilled to hear your voice." I said, sarcasm in my voice.

"Of course you are." Matthew responded with.

"Okay, enough you two." Lucie said, giving me a look.

"Lucie's right, let's talk about something else." James said, starting another conversation.

I didn't pay much attention as the conversation went on, contributing only a few words. I was to busy thinking about the things that annoyed me the most.

His smug smile, stupid jokes, his blonde hair that was always styled, his green eyes that always looked at me with so much amusement, his obnoxious comments and love of all things fashion. I hated how he looked at me, how he said my name, how he was always able to come up with a comeback, how he could so easily make me feel humiliated. I hated everything about him.

Every. Little, thing.

I hated him.

I hated Matthew Fairchild.

...

Word Count: 571