CHAPTER THREE - Glitch

________________________________

"Five seconds later, I'm fastening myself to you with a stitchAnd I'm not even sorry"- Taylor Swift_______________________________

And I'm not even sorry"
- Taylor Swift
_______________________________

It was a truly gorgeous afternoon.

The sun was shining high in the sky, the lake glittering. The light breeze blew through my black hair, a few loose strands flying from the braid holding the mess that had been my hair this morning. I was wearing a simple blue dress that made my blue eyes pop.

Lucie was beside me, a wide smile on her face. James was silent as we walked through the park in search of our friends. I saw many faces from the ball last night, all happily speaking with family and friends.

When I saw the head of red hair, Christopher, Anna and Thomas sitting with her I quickly pulled Lucie along and sat down.

"Oh, lovely!" Lucie said, looking down at Cordelia's pile of food . "We can combine our winnings. Let's see what you have." She said, setting her basket down and unpacking everything.

Anna and Christopher moved over to let me and Lucie sit, Anna giving me a wide smile. Oh how I loved Anna, always there if I needed fashion advice or if I was struggling with a boy. She always had the best solutions. Lightwoods we're truly very helpful.

James sat beside Christopher who was doodling in his notebook. I leaned over to see his drawings but he quickly pulled the notebook away. James whispered something to Thomas and Christopher, getting a laugh from the both of them.

"What did it turn out to be, last night?" Cordelia said to Lucie. "The demon business in Seven Dials."

James glanced over at her, a calm smile on his face. "Shax demons all up and down Monmouth Street. They had to call on Ragnor Fell to help glamour the place so the mundanes wouldn't notice what was going on."

Thomas frowned. "It's odd," he said, "after so long, we encountered that demon the other night, and now yesterday—"

"You encountered a demon?" Lucie demanded. "When was that?"

"Er," said Thomas, his hazel eyes darting anywhere but Lucie. "I may have been wrong. It may not have been a demon. It may have been a textbook about demons."

"Thomas," I said. "You are the most dreadful liar. We want to know what happened."

"You can always get the truth out of Matthew," said James. "You can wheedle anything out of him, you know that, Cass."

"I would prefer to speak to Matthew as little as possible and besides your already here, answer the question." James rolled his eyes then began to look around.

"Where is Matthew? Isn't he meant to be coming?" James asked.

"That's why it was so peaceful." I muttered, receiving a glare from my brother.