CHAPTER ONE - Dear Reader

________________________________

"Dear reader, if it feels like a trap

"Dear reader, if it feels like a trap. You're already in one"
- Taylor Swift
________________________________

Thunk.

Thunk.

Thunk.

Three arrows, all of which hit the target. I had to admit I was getting quite good at shooting. I had been practicing almost everyday since I was twelve, four years of shooting pays off.

I load the arrow, pull the bow up, pull the string to my cheek and release. Another arrow hits the target. I do this, one, two, three more times. When I finish I finally realize someone was calling my name.

"Cassidy." I turn my head to see Lucie. "I've been standing here for a while, did you not hear me calling your name?" Lucie was smiling, a blue dress on.

"Sorry, Lu I was just really focused I guess." I said, putting the bow down.

"Well, no matter I just came to tell you that the Carstairs should be here soon." Lucie said. Shoot, I had forgotten they were coming.

"I should probably go get ready." I said, saying goodbye to Lucie and heading to my room.

I picked out a maroon dress and changed out of my black gear, hopping quickly into the shower. I threw on the dress, did my black hair in a braid and headed out the door.

I headed downstairs, walking to the front doors of the institute. Outside Lucie, James and our parents waited. I positioned myself beside Lucie, a smile on my face.

Soon enough multiple carriages pulled up. I could practically feel Lucie vibrating with excitement as Alastair Carstairs got out of the carriage and opened the door. Out came Sona Carstairs next, her eyes looking around.

James moved to help the last person to exit the carriage. Lucie couldn't contain her excitement anymore and ran over to the carriage, I followed. James helped Cordelia Carstairs get out of the carriage, her red hair shining in the sun. Lucie ran up to her and pulled her into a deep hug.

"I am so very, very delighted to see you!"Lucie said. "Darling Cordelia, we shall have so much fun—"

"Lucie, Cordelia and her family have come to London so that you and Cordelia can train together," Tessa said, her voice soft. "It will be a great deal of work and responsibility."

"Well, you must remember being sixteen yourself, Mrs. Herondale," said Sona. "Young girls adore dances and dresses. I certainly did when I was their age, and I imagine you did as well."

Tessa arched her eyebrows. "I do recall attending a vampire frolic once. And some sort of party at Benedict Lightwood's house, before he got demon pox and turned into a worm, of course—"