CHAPTER FOUR -Sweet Nothing

________________________________

"People can be lovers and enemies at the same time, you know

"People can be lovers and enemies at the same time, you know."
- Willa Cather
_______________________________

I was falling.

I was falling deeper and deeper into a pool of blackness, the inky black liquid grabbing my limbs and pulling me deeper into the abyss. I thrashed. Screamed. Called for help.

No answer ever came. The darkness was to overpowering, my strength to weak. My arms flailed, and my legs kicked but the black liquid did not give. I was drowning. My breathing was becoming slower. I imagine this is what dying feels like.

I wasn't sure I wasn't dying. I every well could be. It was dark and I couldn't breath. Death probably felt close to what I was experiencing. 

I reached out, one final desperate attempt at holding onto life. My eyes widened and I let out a final plea.

A plea that was answered.

A blinding light flashed through the ocean of black, pushing back the shadows that had encompassed me. My mouth fell open in shock as the light surrounded me, pushing away the tentacles of black shadows.

The light was warm to the touch, its glow and hum comforting. I leaned into it, letting it bring me up and out of the abyss.

The warmth made my heart flutter and my eyes close from a sudden rush of sleepiness. I fell into that feeling, letting it take me away from harm.

Maybe this was actually how I died. Maybe this feeling was me leaving the earth. Maybe I was being carried away by an angel.

The quietness and moment of peace on the light was to short. It ended to quickly. My heart no longer fluttered and my body was cold. My eyes weren't filled with blinding light, only the darkness of closed eyes.

Closed eyes.

I was back. I wasn't in the abyss of darkness anymore. I was... Actually I was unaware where I was.

I reached with my left hand, trying to grab something, too sacred to open my eyes. My hand felt a solid surface draped with fabric. I dragged my fingers across the fabric, soaking in the cold and smooth material.

"Cassie..." A soft voice spoke. I nuzzled up into the surface more, feeling a soft hand brush hair from my cheek. "Cassie wake up."

The voice was so soft, the figures hand so warm and smooth against my cheek. I smiled at the feeling of the figures other hand wrapping around my shoulders and bringing me up.

"Cassie, you need to wake up." The voice spoke again. I didn't want to wake up. This feeling was to nice. "Cassie, it's Matthew, wake up."

Matthew.