Chapter 17: Two Broken Souls

Kitsune tensed a moment after the question left the knight's mouth. It'd been a good while since she had to think about that day. Or, night, rather. Thankfully, she wasn't too badly hurt, but she was still shaken up pretty badly. Even after all these months. It didn't at all help when she remembered the warning her male friend had given her a few weeks after she escaped.

---

"I'd be careful out there if I were you, dearie... Rumor has it that that cretin that attacked you is still looking for you." He had explained.

The redhead hummed, looking over her shoulder. She had been packing up for a trip to Dreamland. "I know that, Evander. I'll be careful! Maybe during my trip, he'll finally give up."

The surgeon sighed, leaning against a wall. "I'd certainly hope so for your sake, sweets. Just be careful when you come back."

---

"Kitsune? Are you alright? You're very pale..." Meta questioned, snapping her out of it. "If we need to reschedule the duel, we can." He offered.

"No, no.. I'm fine. Just... I don't like thinking about what happened, but... I'll tell you. I trust you enough." The dame took a few deep breaths to steady herself, gripping onto her skirt. 

"Right, so... A few weeks before I was set to come here, I was ambushed at night. He didn't do anything to me, really. I think he just wanted me dead for some reason... I know he said something, but I was so shocked, it's all a blur to me now..." She sighed. "Anyways... It was really scary. He grabbed my hair and pulled me into an alleyway- I thought I was going to die for a moment. Never in my life was I more thankful for my knight training..." She shuddered.

"It's... weird... Berdie says that maybe, he wanted me dead because I was a knight. Female knights are extremely rare in my kingdom, and the ones that do exist are known to keep to themselves..." The redhead gripped her sleeves, suddenly feeling nauseous. "I don't dare think as to what the reason is... I fear similar attacks have happened, and I was very much next to suffer..."

Meta was, admittedly, rather taken aback. He did not at all like the sound of what she had told him. He knew very little about Banapia, but from what he did hear, it sounded like a pretty all right place... Yet clearly, there was something sinister about it under the seams. Yet, what was he to do? 

He supposed he'd have to jump that hurdle when he got to it... As much as he shuddered to think about what other damage could be done.

"I... I see..." He muttered. "Are you alright?"

Kitsune paused. "I'm... not completely sure, if I'm honest with you... For the most part, I think I function pretty normally, but I've been terrified of going out alone at night ever since. This place is the first time I've ever felt so secure..." She stated, hugging herself.

The knight hummed, scooting closer. "It... It's alright... I don't at all blame you- that sounds like a horrible ordeal. I'm glad you feel safe here." He stated. "You know... If it's possible, perhaps we could arrange for you to move here permanently after the duel. Not even King Dedede could really do anything to stop it, he wouldn't have a legitimate reason to."

The dame quickly looked at him. "You... want me to move here permanently?" She repeated.

"But of course." The knight chuckled. "If that is what you wish, of course." 

"Y... Yeah! Yeah, I'd love to!" Kitsune responded. 'Hopefully he'll keep thinking that after the duel.. I'd hate to end up destroying his trust like that...' She thought, letting out a yawn. 

"Tired?" 

"Admittedly yes."

Meta hummed, lightly laying her down. "Get some rest.. Afterall, we'll be needing as much as we can get considering what's happening in a few days." He stated. 'Though I guess that's a bit hypocritical of me to say, considering I have plans to take her away from here for a minute. And after tonight in particular, I feel like she could use it..." He thought.

"Alrighty.." Kitsune yawned again, her wings wrapping around herself. "G'night, Meta... See you tomorrow." She mumbled, falling asleep startlingly quick.

Her friend chuckled, patting her head as he stood up. "Right then, that's my cue to leave..." He quietly remarked. As he headed to the door, he said one last thing- even though she couldn't hear, nor would she be able to understand... Maybe. He hadn't figured out her grasp on Spanish.

"Sleep well, mi amour. Trust me, you're safe here."