Chapter 76: Dinner

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

-Castle Gremory-

My conversation with Grayfia continued for a little while longer. We drifted away from any matters concerning Kuroka's case and my plans with Lord Bael.

And to say that it was an enjoyable experience would be an understatement. For someone who proved herself to be an Ice Queen, she talked quite a bit. We spoke about Rias and any future training she can go through to practice her Power of Destruction. She even helped me with matters concerning magical spells and Touki, agreeing to teach me new spells that she believed would be suitable for me on top of overseeing my own training while I practiced some spells Vritra wanted to teach me.

It felt wrong to say it, but I wished the ride lasted a little longer.

Unfortunately, it was clear that we were reaching our final destination, looking at the scenery, there were paved roads and beautifully pruned trees. The path stretched straight ahead where a huge structure suddenly came into my view.

“It seems we have arrived.” I was so shocked at the sheer size of the castle. I could understand Lucifer's main headquarters to be extravagant and impressive — but for the Gremory to have something similar as well? At this point I was beginning to wonder if they were trillionaires by any chance.

“That’s the main residence of the Gremory House. There are a few manors scattered across the land which are used for a living quarters for servants, guards and even a few homes for Lord Gremory's harem members.” she mentioned casually with a stoic face.

"..."

"By your expression, you find this matter of his harem quite bizarre I assume?"

"Of course, I'm from the human world, even though I'm in a relationship between Rias and Akeno… I still can't get over your race's nonchalant attitude over harems — especially given he's married. Like, doesn't Rias' mom find the whole thing weird?"

"I can understand your confusion, but let me answer it with another question." Oh, I wasn't expecting that. "How many kids do you think Lord Gremory has?"

This looked like a trick question given I knew about Sirzechs and Rias. As far as I knew, there wasn't any illegitimate child or anyone hidden from the public.

"Two," I answered, waiting for her to suddenly drop a bomb and say a higher number.

"You are absolutely correct."

Eh… Now I was even more curious where she was going with this.

"Even with an entire harem, Lord Gremory only managed to have two heirs with Lady Gremory. That in itself was considered as a miracle. Don't forget, Rias is a few centuries younger than my husband." That was true, a bit hard to come to terms with given his siscon attitude which was said to be around the same level as Serafall. All of those points making it hard to see him as an ancient monster.

"The Phenex have a lot of descendants though, more than even the average amount of kids per family in human society." From what I remembered, there were currently four of them, with Riser being the third brother and Ravel the youngest. I still remember meeting Ruval, the current heir, last time during Rias and Riser’s Rating Game.

"That is true, but their case is an anomaly you can say, their fertility rate has always been exceptionally high compared to the rest of the Devils and that is a blessing many are very envious about." Bringing into account how before the Evil Pieces, the Devils were a dying race after the Great War — I could see why. "Coming back to my explanation. Despite having more than one partner, Lord Gremory never had any other children with them. Having multiple partners just gives us more chances to have kids and have a future generation, not to mention how having a harem has always been part of our culture and is also quite normal for us."