Chapter Fourteen: Emira and the Bat Witch

I'm @cowboyalchemist on Discord. Come on over to chat and discuss ideas. If you want an invite to join my Discord server, you only have to ask me.

It was the beginning of the school year at Hexside. Students greeted each other after being away for an entire summer and were ready for another semester of learning and growing as witches.

However, some decided to start the year off differently from everyone else.

"BLIGHTS!"

Emira heard the teacher behind them yell as he ran after her and Edric. The infamous Blight twins were at it again with another one of their pranks, and they laughed as they were being chased. "Didn't I tell you I'd do it?" Ed asked his sister.

"Eh. It was alright," Emira said, smiling as she rolled her eyes.

"What?! That was the best prank I came up with all month!" Edric exclaimed.

"Well, we better split up and hide from the teacher," Emira told her brother.

"Right!"

When they reached the end of the hallway, the twins quickly split up, with Ed going left and Emira going right. While the male twin continued running down the hallway, Emira saw the first down on her right and ran towards it. She opened it and quickly rushed into the room. Silently, she closed the door.

Emira placed her ear to the door and listened for the teacher. However, as she waited for him to run past her so she could leave, the Blight girl noticed how hot it was in the room she had run into. "Man, is this place a sauna or something?" She asked, wiping her brow from the sweat that was building up.

"Not quite."

Emira turned around, only to scream in terror at the sight of a tall individual with a skull mask and bat eats standing behind her with an ominous red light glowing from behind him. She was so frightened by his appearance and the hammer in his hand. Seeing this, Emira backed up against the door and drew a spell circle to defend herself.

Seeing this, the individual, who was a few inches taller than her, held up his hands. "Whoa, easy! I'm not going to hurt you!" He quickly explained. He realized he was still holding the hammer and placed it on a wooden table. "See? No hammer."

"Who are you?!" Emira asked, glaring at the person, not noticing the construction track uniform he was wearing. Not allowing her guard to go down, the green-haired witch kept her spell circle up as the teenage boy reached up and took off his skull-shaped welding mask.

"I'm a student, just like you," Warrick said, revealing himself to Emira for the first time.

For a moment, Emira looked at the handsome bat-witch before seeing the brown sleeves and legging. "Oh! Sorry about that," she said, quickly lowering her finger and dispelling the circle. "I didn't know that you were a student with the...."

"With the mask and ears?" Warrick asked with a slight smirk. "I just look scary in this. I'm actually a nice guy."

"I bet." Emira looked away awkwardly. That's when she looked around at the classroom she was in.

It wasn't like any classroom she'd ever been in, looking more like an industrial version of her father's workshop. Most of the windows were closed, and the only light source was a large, monstrous forge with teeth and a metal tongue to use as an anvil. All around them were many metal objects that ranged from weapons to tools.