Chapter Twenty: Avalon Echoes

I'm cowboyalchemist on Discord. Due to a new policy on the server, I had to change my username. Come on over if you want to chat and talk about ideas. If you want an invite to join my Discord server, you only have to ask me.

Another day in the Owl House means another day for Booker and Luz to learn about their magical abilities. As it turned out, Lilith had made a startling breakthrough during the battle at Blight Industries. There was a way to combine glyphs to create new spells, and the two best friends were eager to try it out.

Sitting in the den of the owl house, Luz was surrounded by a mountain of books with a notebook in her hand. With all of the glyphs in her hands, Luz got to work on experimenting and studying new ways to make spells.

Booker was sitting on the floor, trying to find out how to mix his spells together like his mom and aunt learned to do. He still hadn't found something to replace his sweater, so he was stuck with the white shirt he wore under it.

He summoned a ball of fire and a block of ice. Booker then tried to press them together, only to extinguish the flame and melt the ice.

"I don't know why I thought that would work," he said. Suddenly, King dived at him, knocking the boy over. "Ow! King!"

"Booker, Luz, I need your help!" King yelled, crawling over Booker to hide behind him. "I think Francois is trying to start a rebellion."

Wondering just what the hell King was talking about, Booker looked towards the corner of the couch, which was covered in the mighty 'army' of King's plushies. Their 'general' was Francois, his pale pink bunny plushie. He was sitting in the center on a pillow, looking completely normal, until a jagged dagger with a red gem on the hilt fell out from behind him.

"I'm not even going to ask where you got the knife. Should I..." Booker made a clicking sound with his mouth, running his thumb over his neck two times.

"No! I don't wish for him to die," King said as if he were Caesar forgiving Cassius Longinus. "For you see, he was a friend. I shall forgive him."

"Really? And what will you do when he tries to revolt a second time," Booker asked, crossing his arms.

"Oh, this isn't the first time," King said, waving his hand. "I'll just pardon him again."

Booker's eyes widened.

"You can't just keep forgiving someone over and over if they keep betraying you," he yelled in disbelief.

"You obviously don't know anything about being a king!"

"Will you two stop yelling?" Luz exclaimed, looking up from her work. "Look, King, Booker's busy, and I'm getting so close to figuring out this glyph combo."

"It's always glyphs and portals with you these days. What about King?" King asked her as he gestured to himself.

"Why don't you ask Lilith for help? She was in the Emperor's Coven," Luz said before gesturing to Lilith with her pencil. "She has more experience with unruly mobs than anyone."

Fortunately, that wouldn't be possible, and Booker knew this when he looked at his aunt.

Lilith was kneeling at the coffee table, extremely focused on practicing her glyphs. She was drawing with a red paintbrush and Post-it board on the couch, with several books and papers around her. She was bent over, her eyes only a short distance from the paper. With precision, she focused extremely on drawing the perfect circle. Her hair was messy, and the whites of her eyes were huge, with tiny irises.

Due to being such a smart witch and losing her magic, Lilith dived headfirst into studying glyphs ever since Luz told her about them. Learning everything she could about them and making new spells became an obsession for her—so much so that every step of the process fascinated her.