Chapter 8 - Flashback 1

10 years earlier...

«Sebastian! There you are!»

«There YOU are»

Y/N felt a small tingle in her belly already then. This boy was ridiculously charming, but he knew it too well. It was the beginning of a friendship that would change both of their lives. The next weeks based themselves around sneaking into the restricted section in the library, defeating Rankrok's loyalists and finding a cure for Sebastian's sister Anne. They grew close, very close.

——-

«NO! I WON'T LET HER SUFFER!» Sebastian's scream echoed through the catacomb. «AVADA KEDAVRA!»

A green surge flew across the room and tainted the stone walls with an eerie green light before fading out abruptly.

Solomon's body lay motionless on the ground. It was done. Y/N turned in despair to look at Sebastian who himself seemed to have just realized his mistake. He looked down at his wand that slipped out of his hand. Before Y/N could react another spellcast was echoed through the room.

«DEPULSO»

It was Anne. Sebastian's body was now knocked into the wall behind him. He inhaled wheezing from the blunt force to his back.

——

«Sebastian, wait!»

Y/N stood looking at the distraught boy in front of her. Her heart ached for him, but she was also furious. How could he go this far? But she knew that was not what he needed to hear right now. She needed to be his friend, tell him what he wanted to hear. That... That he did the right thing.

«I need to go... I am not myself» Sebastian muttered

«Wait, Sebastian, please!»

Y/N grabbed her friend's hand. Sebastian looked up at her. His eyes were red, filled with tears. Y/N could not determine if the regret in them came from the murder of his uncle or the reaction of his sister.

Sebastian broke free of her grasp and ran off.

——

Y/N was sitting on the broken spire of one of the many ruined castles around the valley. Staring blankly out into the fields covered in a thin veil of snow. It was freezing, but Y/N did not care.

It had been 3 days since she last heard from Sebastian. His whereabouts were unknown. Omins had tried reaching out to her about the incident with Solomon and Anne, but Y/N could not stand to face it right now.

As she sat there, staring out on the landscape an owl landed beside her. A letter...

«Y/N...

We have to talk. Privately.
Meet me in the scriptorium tonight.
I cannot risk running into Ominis in the undercroft.

Sebastian»

Y/N's heart almost burst out of her chest. The sun was just barely setting in the horizon, but Y/N could not spare another moment. She jumped on her broom and set flight towards Hogwarts.

Almost bursting through the doors to the castle she earned a few confused looks from other students. Oh no... She needed to be more discreet than this. She quickly dusted off her attire and walked as unsuspiciously as she could down towards the Slytherin common rooms.

Just when she turned the corner from the common room entrance towards the halls that led to the bathrooms and the scriptorium she almost collided with another student.