Sorting Ceremony

As the boats docked, everyone gaped up at the giant castle, amazed by its grandeur. Small mutters of praise could be heard, and (Y/n) was no exception. Her head was tilted, looking straight up to view the castle in all its glory.

"Wicked..." muttered Ron from beside her, and she nodded her head in agreement.

"Alright everyone, this way!" Shouted the tall, bearded man, "Up the stairs."

(Y/n) wanted to cry when she looked at the stairs in question. It must have been hundreds of stairs from the docks, up to the main castle where they were heading. But she took a deep breath, and walked on.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

As they finally entered the castle doors, (Y/n) didn't understand how nobody but her seemed to be out of breath. She leaned against one of the walls, slightly bent over, trying to regain her energy. Everyone else walked by her without a second thought, all smiles, not breaking a sweat.

"Am I that out of shape?" she mumbled, standing upright to catch up with Harry and Ron.

After a few more flights of stairs, the large group of first years were brought to a sudden stop, and as (Y/n) glanced up to see why, she saw a familiar face.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." said professor McGonagall with a smile, "Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses."

(Y/n) smiled as excitement shot through her, remembering how Freddy had talked to her about his house on the train.

"They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." McGonagall continued, "Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points, any rule-breaking and you will lose points."

The (h/c) heard a slight chuckle, she turned her head slightly and saw it came from a boy with blonde hair, so blonde, in fact, she almost mistook it for white. He was surrounded by a few boys who she could just tell were trouble, so she returned her attention to the professor.

"At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup-"

A small croaking could be heard, (Y/n) followed the sound and noticed a toad by the professors feet.

"Trevor!" shouted a boy from the crowd, quickly running to the front and grabbing the toad, as students chuckled at him. He rose to his feet slowly, making tense eye contact with professor McGonagall before standing and muttering a quiet "Sorry".

He shrank back into the crowd, judging eyes following him, (Y/n) couldn't help but feel bad, but didn't dwell on it long due to professor McGonagall concluding her speech.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily" she said and turned, walking away and leaving the students to discuss among themselves.

(Y/n) turned to talk to Harry about what house he thought he would be placed in, but someone cut in before she could.

"It's true then. What they're saying on the train."

It was the boy (Y/n) heard chuckling earlier, the boy with blonde hair and his two friends.

"Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." he said.