Desirous Love

The wind whipped my hair around my head as I walked down the street. I crossed my arms tightly over my chest, keeping my head down. A few people walked in the opposite direction. I avoided their eyes.

                I stopped in front of my door, reaching into my pocket for the keys. My house was small with only my mother to live with. It was a shabby little thing that sat on the edge of the block. My fingers shook as I jingled the key into the lock.

                I turned the knob, hearing it click open. I grunted, shoving my shoulder against the door to force it open. It was an old house and occasionally the door would need an extra push to open.

                The air was moderately warmer inside than compared to the cold air outside. I slammed the door shut behind me, dropping my bag onto the floor. The smell of tacos drifted over to me. I inhaled deeply, my feet leading me into the kitchen to where my mother stood.

                “What’s the occasion?” I asked.

                She casually stirred the meat, looking up from her magazine, “I got a bonus at work today.”

                I raised an eyebrow, “For what?”

                She shrugged, “Not quite sure, but a bonus is a bonus.”

                We weren’t dirt poor, but Mom wasn’t a huge fan of tacos. Whenever something good happened to us though, she would make them in celebration even if she didn’t like them. I grinned in anticipation of the delicious meal.

                “Is Josh coming over tonight?” She asked, unsuccessfully hiding the malice in her voice. I noticed how her figure tensed at the question, waiting for my answer.

                I bit my lip, “I’m not sure. He hasn’t called yet.”

                She sighed, “Alright. Just wait for him to call you today, honey, why don’t you? You don’t need to seem clingy.”

                “Ok.” I lied, walking out. I made my way to my room, closing the door behind me. The clouds blocked the sun from entering my light yellow room. Though I was a teenager, my room resembled that of a preteen. A twin bed sat in the corner next to a small nightstand that held my alarm clock. A desk was pushed against the wall, a poster next to it. I had a small closet that held my collection of clothes messily.

                I sighed, collapsing on my bed.

                I rubbed my eyes, glancing at my clock. Josh would want me to call soon; detention ended in a few minutes. He wasn’t demanding of a boyfriend, but he liked to talk to me after school every day.

                I reached into my pocket, pulling out the small phone I had. I knew I was close to the end of my minutes, but I didn’t care.

                My fingers typed in the number from memory. I pressed it to my ear, listening to the ringing four times before he answered.

                “Hey baby.” He answered.

                “Hey Josh.” I yawned.

                “Tired?”

                “You got it.”

                He chuckled once. There was a back ground noise. It sounded like he was outside in the harsh wind.