Chapter 9

Chapter 9, Desirous Love

“W-What are you talking about?” I asked, trying to feign confusion. “What are you doing with my phone? Who the hell said you could look through it?”

                I grabbed it off the table, tucking it into my lap quickly.

                “It vibrated…” He trailed off.

                “And you thought that said ‘Read me Pride!’?” I growled.

                “I was just curious. It said Josh… It vibrated three times before I read one.” His face was pale, eyes wide with surprise.

                I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down, “And what did the message say?”

                “‘I’m sorry about the other night. I lost control. Please forgive me.’” He said. I glanced down at the first opened message, matching up the words.

                “You can’t go through reading other people’s messages!”

                “I’m sorry, Terry, I really am! I wasn’t thinking when I did it! I just… I’m sorry!”

                His words sounded so much like Josh’s…

                I pushed the thought to the back of my head. In a soft voice, I whispered, “Please don’t ever do this again.”

                He nodded sincerely, “I’m sorry. I really didn’t think it would be anything important when he texted you.”

                “It’s fine.” I mumbled.

                A moment of silence passed between us. I wasn’t sure what to say. Pride had disrespected my boundaries by reading the text message, but at the same time, he seemed honestly sorry. It sounded so much like Josh…

                He hesitated before speaking, “Did this totally ruin any chance I had with you?”

                I laughed slightly, pushing my plate forward, “I really think you should take me back home, Pride.”

                He sighed, waving over the waiter.

                ~*~

                Pride pulled over at my house, turning the engine off. We sat in the silence car for a few minutes. I grabbed the box of food on my lap, reaching for the door.

                “Thank you for the food.” I smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

                It had been a silent ride over.

                The tension was thick between us. Pride seemed to down the entire ride. He faked a smile for my sake, but it was evident he was upset with how the date had turned out. I didn’t know how to give him solace. I was still annoyed that he had gone through my phone. Yet, guilt plagued me that I had caused his mood to spin in the opposite direction.

                Pride turned his head, leaning against the leather head of the seat. He smiled slightly, but his eyes spoke more. He was upset over the turnout. “I’m sorry I forced you on this, Terry. I feel like a dick now.”

                “It was going well at first, if that helps.” I smiled encouragingly.

                He rolled his eyes, rubbing his face, “I’ll leave you alone if you want.”