Chapter 3

I didn’t have a choice. I knew I needed to call Josh back. Yet, I couldn’t bring myself to pick up the phone and dial his number. Thoughts from the conversation with my mother raced through my head as I replayed everything that happened.

                She was a concerned mother, but meddling in business that wasn’t her own. This was my relationship with Josh. I was a teenager. If I wanted to have sex with him, I would on my own terms. I didn’t want to disappoint her, but I wasn’t into the waiting-until-marriage idea. What if Josh never proposed? What if we lived together, but never got married?

                I shook my head, clearing my thoughts.

                I needed to call him.

                I sat on the edge of my bed, the sunlight trickling into my room. Mom was downstairs watching television by herself. I had the phone cradled in my hand, finger hovering over the first digit of his line of numbers.

                Taking a deep breath, I type in the numbers, pressing the call button. I raised the phone to my ear, listening to the rings as I wait with anticipation.

                “Hey Baby,” Josh says, coughing a few times, “What’s up?”

                “You called me.”

                “Yeah, why didn’t you answer?” He coughed again.

                “Are you feeling ok?”

                “Yeah, I’m fine.” It sounded like he held back another, “Stop avoiding the question, Baby, why didn’t you answer your phone? I called like a million times.”

                It had to have been close.

                “I’m sorry, I was talking with my mother, and I didn’t have the phone on me at the time.” I mumbled.

                He sighed, “Alright baby, you just worried me. Please don’t do that again.”

                “I won’t, I promise.”

                “So what’s up?”

                I shrugged, leaning back on my bed. A small smile crossed my lips as we fell into our usual conversation.

                “Not much, I’m probably going to start homework once I get off the phone with you.” I said, “What about you?”

                He shrugged, “I think I’m getting sick or something.”

                I frowned, “Cold?”

                “Probably.”

                “Feel better, Josh,”

                “Thanks, Baby, I’ll try too. I don’t think I’ll be in school tomorrow though.”

                I laughed slightly, “It’s just a cold. Do you really feel that bad? Or do you just not want to go to school tomorrow?”               

                “Little bit of both.”

                I smiled slightly.

                “But seriously, don’t expect me to be there.”

                “Alright.” I sighed.