NINE, style

DAISY: Daphne became my best friend but I knew there was tension with Look At Us Now

DAISY: Daphne became my best friend but I knew there was tension with Look At Us Now. It didn't bother me, all I wanted to do was make a great record, make it spin till it breaks and do it all over again.

Everybody knows the band. Daisy Jones and the Six. I think she's a little upset that it was never her name with theirs, Daphne loved that band with her whole heart. Like I did.

DAPHNE: Since I was back in the house with the band, I didn't really have much time to talk with Daisy. Sometimes I imagine how different the day might've gone had I been at the Marmont, I probably would've driven her straight to the studio.

So, in my head, not choosing me for lead vocals was going to be something rare. I thought Teddy was just bringing in a feature. He'd told me I would be the go-to if we were doing duets, so I don't know what was so different.

Style had been sitting at number one on the charts though. I was ecstatic.

CAMILA: I always loved that song of hers. [Sighs] I wonder why?

TEDDY: Daphne was going to jump ship whenever she was ready, Daisy Jones was excited to be in the studio. I just had this feeling, I saw what she did with Honeycomb when I showed it to her and I thought she deserved the shot at it.

KAREN: I was shocked that Daphne let it happen. Billy kept going on about how it shouldn't be a duet.

BILLY: I was standing beside Daphne, she had this childish smile when she saw Daisy walk in. They jumped on eachother, I remember Eddie had leaned in to pull them apart because he thought Daphne was going to hit her.

They were just hugging.

DAPHNE: I was the only one Daisy let stay in the room while they recorded. It was great, hell, Teddy was right. Even when they had their disagreement about lyrics, Daisy's version pulled through and well... Honeycomb was a hit.

Everybody had left for the day, I told Teddy I wanted to stay back and mess around with some stuff. He handed me my own key, asked Tobias to stay back. At least I was getting something out of it.

I wanted to mess around with what became Haunted.

It was still bare bones, softer and not quite as... hurtful? I had all these different lyrics, it wasn't even going in the direction it did. Started it after they got married, I guess you'd say it was dramatic for supposedly how long I knew Billy but... I was hurt, I was confused.

The feelings we had since we met felt like a lifetime on my end [Shrugs].

I realised I was far deeper than I ever thought, the song made me a little emotional. Couldn't have what I wanted. Normally that was never a problem for me but again, they let me into their family. I never had that.

I just thought we had some sort of understanding?

——

Come on, come on don't leave me like this,
I thought I had you figured out,
somethings gone terribly wrong
you're all I wanted.