{prologue}

"Excuse me? Josie?" I hear whispered behind me.

I turn around to see a kid named Matthew sulking in his seat. He hasn't spoken a single word to me since 6th grade. I raise my eyebrows at him waiting for his question.

"Can we pretend like I just asked you out? My buddy behind me said I didn't have it in me to ask you on a date, which quite frankly, I don't. So if you can just smile for a minute and pretend to write down your number, I will do your math homework for a month."

He must be so embarrassed. His friend, Taylor, is actually a total ass for being such a nerd. I don't know why Matthew would be friends with him. I mine as well help him out, just to get back at Taylor and help out Matthew.

I chuckle, "well how about I actually give you my number," I say as write it down on math notes, "and then you call meager to take me out to dinner? Taylor's an ass so I think you should prove him wrong." I wink at him and turn back around in my seat.

"Oh-oh-ok.. Thank you" he responds sheepishly. I can just tell he's blushing and I can't help but smile.

"Man! I didn't think you'd actually do it! She probably felt bad!" I hear Taylor say as he starts dying laughing.
"Shut up Taylor, you never would have done it."

Why does Taylor have to always be such a douche bag? He has been ever since elementary.

The bell rings and Matthew & Taylor shuffles their books together really quick and start to run towards the door, "Matthew, wait!"
Matthew and Taylor turn with vast confusion.

I run up to Matthew and kiss his cheek, "you'll call me?"
He nods and his face turns a bright shade of red. I walk away with a smile on my face and I hear them freaking out behind me.

+

"Mom I'm home!"

No response.

I walk into the kitchen to see a note on the counter,

I took an extra shift, I'll be home in the morning.. Money is in the usual spot... Love, mom

Of course. She's never home.

I run up stairs and change into sweat pants. Then I go lay down and bed to take my usual after school nap.

Just as I'm about to fall asleep, my phone rings.

"Hello?"
-"Josie? This is Matthew.."