REPLACE NOVEL 5 CHAPTER 1 - STOPPING ALONG THE WAY

A Scenic Route

Part 1

There is a saying that goes something like: "meeting a Buddha in hell (meaning that you'll often find help in unexpected places)." But I never expected a 'Buddha' to look so beautiful. In this foreign land of Los Angeles, the guy that saved me when I was in a pinch was astonishingly beautiful.

It wasn't only me. The men around me, who had all been speaking rapid-fire English, had all fallen silent as he approached.

Glancing at his black hair, I guessed that he's Asian, but his skin is unexpectedly pale. Although he also looks like he's Japanese, he's tall and lanky. I'm unusually tall, but he's around the same height, roughly 180 cm.

Even though he was slender, he wasn't fragile. His most impressive feature, however, was his face. It was outrageously beautiful.

It was small, with delicate features. The long fringe covering his left eye only further served to enhance the air of mystery surrounding him.

If a beauty like him smiled at you, I'm sure you'd find yourself speechless.

("On the attractiveness scale, he might even be on par with Kise.")

I couldn't help but think, even though the immediate situation was far from good. This gorgeous guy in front of me seemed to notice my stare and turned around with a smile. Then, he walked to the men around me and started discussing something in English.

He spoke quickly, the words rapidly coming out. I was still very confused, but it made me relieved that there was now a third party involved.

I noticed the boy next to him.

"Ah...Mike?" I whispered.

He heard me, and although he still looked nervous, he nodded his head as if to tell me, "I'm fine, don't worry about it."

The fact that Mike was willing to stand next to him surely meant that this beauty was on my side.

Looking closely, I could see some other kids behind this beautiful guy and Mike. They all looked very anxious and their bodies were stiff. Hoping to ease their tension, I nodded toward them, as if to say, "It's okay."

Then, one of the men around me started to move. Suddenly, there was a loud sound.

"Eh?"

I reflexively looked over and could not believe my eyes.

You wouldn't have believed it: Someone with a face that looks like he couldn't even kill a bug had managed to punch a man almost 2 meters tall. Who would've thought?

Part 2

As if watching a movie, I saw the man fall backwards in slow motion.

He was unable to move, lying flat on his back on the basketball court. The impact of the blow seemed to have rendered him unconscious.

The rest of us felt as though we were in a similar state. I and the other men around me all stared in shock. The one who had done the deed was undoubtedly this beautiful guy, who could have passed for an action star. And yet, he was able to punch that big guy to the ground.

From the sound of the hit, you can tell that he wasn't weak.

(What caused him to do this?)

I looked up stiffly at him. Upon meeting my glance, he quickly stepped over the unconscious body and grabbed my wrist.

"Run!" He said urgently in Japanese, pulling me along behind him. Mike and his friends were quick to follow.

We flew out of the basketball court and onto the streets, trying to run as far and as fast as possible. Even though we should have been able to hear those men yelling behind us, the sound had gotten lost in the crowd.