Chapter Twelve

Isabella arrived home from school, thrilled that it was a Friday

Isabella arrived home from school, thrilled that it was a Friday. She didn't have to deal with immature kids and teachers for eight hours the next day. She relaxed in her bedroom and browsed through the internet to entertain herself.

Her parents were already home, wrapping up their work for the weekend. They finished early enough to spend time with their daughter playing games.

They were absolute maniacs when it came to board games.

They played The Game of Life, and Isabella's mother won the game, celebrating by doing a short dance while her father stared at her butt the entire time.

The family played a few more board games, a couple of video games, and a few mini games in Wii Sports. In every game they played, Marybeth won. They had a fun night, but Marybeth and Bradley ruined it by kissing every time she won or dancing sensuously in front of her husband.

Isabella was truly traumatized during those moments.

After hours of playing games, Isabella grew tired and bid her parents goodnight so she could go to bed. She walked upstairs to her bedroom, heading to the dresser to grab her pajamas. She snatched a pair of shorts and a baggy shirt, stripping her clothes off and slipping the pajamas on.

Isabella tossed her clothes in the hamper and climbed into bed, feeling the cold sheets on her bare legs. She turned off the lamp switch on her bedside table, made herself comfortable laying on her side, and attempted to sleep.

Five minutes later, her eyes opened and she had the urge to do something.

Get food.

She was craving a snack. Isabella pushed away the blankets and swung herself off the bed, walking out of the room. As she headed to the stairs, she walked past her parents' bedroom, hearing a deep conversation behind the closed door.

Isabella stopped and leaned her ear against the door, listening to what they were saying.

"Honey, that's not the situation here—"

"Bradley, no sé si sabes lo serio que es esto, tenemos que hacer algo con ella." (Bradley, I don't know if you know how serious this is, we have to do something about her.)

Marybeth was concerned about something. Whatever they were talking about must be important. Bradley had learned how to speak Spanish a long time ago to understand his wife better.

"Estoy preocupada por Bella. Ha estado disgustada por días y no sé qué sucede con ella." (I'm worried about Bella. She's been upset for days and I don't know what's wrong with her.)

Bradley sighed before he said, "Nicole called me this morning about Aiden, and she was very upset."

Isabella frowned.

"What about Aiden? Is he okay?" Marybeth asked.

"No, he's not. I don't think Bella wanted us to find out about this, but we had to know at some point. He's sick."

"What do you mean 'sick'?"

Bradley was quiet for a while.

"She told me he has AIDS."

Isabella lowered her head, not wanting to hear more. She leaned back on the wall and closed her eyes, fresh tears brimming.

"Oh my God." Marybeth gasped, her voice shaking. "You have to be kidding."

"No, I'm just as shocked as you are."

"¿Cómo se lo está tomando Isabella? ¿Qué tal si él . . .?" (How is Isabella taking this? What if he . . .?)

Marybeth cried, and Isabella couldn't help but let the tears fall out of her eyes.

Isabella went back to her room, having lost her appetite, and dragged herself towards the bed, laying on the mattress.

Her tears fell on the pillow as she replayed her parents' conversation about her best friend. From what Isabella could tell, they didn't even know the whole story. How did her father get in contact with Nicole about this? Was he curious because Isabella had been stressed out about Aiden? She hadn't told her mom or dad after she found out, so they were probably worried.

Now they knew the truth about Aiden.

Isabella couldn't take it anymore.

She couldn't fucking take it.

Thinking about him was killing her inside. One day he might not be there, and she had no idea how she would handle it.

Without him . . . she'd be nothing.

Isabella grasped onto her birthday necklace hanging around her neck and held onto it as she drifted off to sleep.