Chapter Twenty-Seven

Isabella and Aiden made it back to her house after having fun at the beach

Isabella and Aiden made it back to her house after having fun at the beach. Aiden parked in her driveway and turned the ignition off. He turned his gaze to the brown-eyed girl and smirked.

"What?" she asked.

"Did you have fun?" He grinned, knowing what her answer would be.

Isabella rolled her eyes.

"Yes, I had fun." She had enjoyed spending time with Aiden and was grateful that Matthew did not catch them. It was a relief to be around him where she could be herself again without having to lie about anything.

"That's good." He sighed. "Now, I know you don't like to hear me say this—"

Isabella groaned under her breath, knowing what he was about to say.

"Aiden, please."

"Just listen to me. This is serious. You can't let him control you, Bella," he said earnestly. "You know I want what's best for you and how much I care about you. I don't want you to give up your life because of him. I'm not saying any of this was your fault, but I want you to realize that not telling someone about this can lead to even more danger."

His words made her think about the situation more detachedly. If she told somebody, then she could probably be free from him. She did almost tell her principal about the beatings until Matthew stopped her. Maybe this time would be different. Maybe if she called the police, they would capture him and keep him locked up, freeing her from his beatings, terror, and pain.

This might be her last chance.

Isabella turned to Aiden, and concern was written all over his face. She removed her seatbelt and wrapped her arms around his neck over the center console.

"I'll try, okay?" she whispered in his ear. "But it's not going to be easy."

"I know . . ."

She pulled away from his arms. "I'll see you later?"

"Yeah." He grinned.

She smiled back as she opened the door, getting out of the car. She waved at him before she closed the door and walked to the front of her house.

She brought her keys out and opened the door, walking inside. She heard the engine from Aiden's car rumble and his car pulling away from her house.

Once she closed the door, she ascended the stairs to her room and turned the light switch on, staring at an unexpected person on her bed.

She gasped when she saw it was Matthew, resting her hand on her chest. "Matthew? What are you doing here?"

His glare was a look Isabella hadn't seen before.

"Where have you been?"

She watched him carefully before she answered, "I was . . . out."

"Out, huh? Where out? I tried calling you and you weren't answering your phone."