Chapter 1

"Unka ache se khayal rakhna aur aage se zyada zuban nahi ladani. Maa Baap ke sath alag rishta hota hain aur Pati ke saath alag. Unko izzat deni hain aur sewa karni hain unki chahe kuch bhi ho. Tu samajh rahi hain na?" her elder sister, Rumi, inquired Nandini. She nodded her head, numb as she sat on the bed, her wedding lehenga scattered around on the wedding bed while a red dupatta veiled her face for her husband.

Nodding, Rumi got up and left the room while Nandini fisted her lehenga, her eyes shining with tears in nervousness and fear, as she thought about how she landed herself, bound to a man who was such a senior to her and a father of one boy.

The loud yelling of anger filled the small household as a young girl's loud laughter echoed around as she ran inside with her feet smudged in dirt and the preparations that were being made for the prospective groom that was coming to see their elder daughter went in vain.

"Maaf kare," she said, giggling as she looked over her shoulder, meeting his eyes as he scowled at her, covered in mud from head to toe before leaving.

"Shadi ki umar ho gayi hain. Kab jayega tera yeh bachpana? Chunni dekh apni. Abhi koi hota ghar par toh?" her mother scolded her while arranging her daughter's dupatta around her chest properly while his father shook his head at his daughter's deeds with a small smile on his face. Nandini nodded obediently, stifling a giggle when her mother took in her clothes smudged with dirt and ordered, "Pata nahi kis ke sath kusti karke aayi hai. Jaa jaake apne kapde badal ke aa."

As she was walking away quietly, she smiled when her father walked along with her and inquired, "Ab kiske saath panga liya tumne."

"Main kuch nahi kiya, Papa. Woh Raman ne mere upar matti fenki toh mehne usse dhakka de diya kichad main," Nandini said, making puppy eyes and her father shook his head, not even scolding her.

"Uss vehle Raman ke saath saara din khum ti hain. Apne isse itna sar par chadha rakha hain," her mother commented while cleaning the floor and continued, "Bas Rumi ki shadi hote hi iske bhi haath peele kardenge isse pehle hamari naak kata de ye ladki."

Nandini ignored her comments as it had become a pattern for her mother to threaten her in this way but knew she wouldn't do anything of that sort. Moving to her room, she got ready in a maroon lehenga choli and rolled simple glass bangles on her wrists before covering her head with a red veil, sheathing her long hair flowing down her back. She enhanced her eyes with kohl and applied a small black dot in the center of her forehead.

As commotion was heard outside, she covered her head with a dupatta and sneaked out in the kitchen to help her mother. While her mother was preparing tea with the occasional lecture on how to behave properly, Nandini looked out of the small window, smiling as two puppies sniffed the floor for food. Looking over at her mother, who was hurriedly doing the chores, Nandini picked up rotis from last night and sneaked through the back door quietly.

"Awwliee mere duggu ko bhuki lag ri hain," Nandini cooed as she offered them the rotis, making them huddle around her hand and sniff it before they started to eat. After they were done, she sat down, cross legged and picked one of them, patting their back lovingly and laughing as the other jumped over her and as she was playing with them, she missed the pair of eyes witnessing the innocent soul.

Before she could get an answer, Nandini snapped her head as her mother snapped through the window, "Nandini! Bahar kya kar rahi hain. Jaldi aa andar. Humare ghar humare sarpanch bhi aa rahe hain."

"Thik hain hum chalte hain. Tum dono vaapis aa jana," Nandini said, kissing both of their heads before hurrying inside while patting her back to take off any mud smudged at her clothes. She washed her hands while asking, "Woh kyu aa rahe hain?"

"Woh ladke ke maama lagte hain. Isliye unke saath aa rahe hain. Hume toh maloom hi nahi tha ki ladka itne rayees khandan ka hain. Bas ab teri behen unhe pasand aa jaye fir toh uski puri zindagi achi guzregi," her mother commented with hope in her eyes while pouring whatever milk was left in the house in a pan to prepare a sweet dish.

"Maa aap itne sapne mat dekho. Woh na bhi toh kar sakte hain. Hum itne chote ghar aur woh logo ki toh alag hi duniya hain. Aur humne toh suna hain woh sarpanch toh bahut gussa karte hain aur daravne bhi hain, haina? Agar unhone di ke liye na karvadi toh. Toh aap itna sapna na dekhe. Upar se sirf ameeri main khushi thoda na hain. Hum log kam khate hain lekin Baba hum sab ko kitna khush rakhte hain. Khaas kar aapko, haina?" Nandini teased at the end, making her mother blush profusely.

"Chup kar! Kesi baate karti hain apni Maa se. Aur kami toh har insaan main hoti hain ha bacha. Par har insaan itna bura bhi nahi hota. Jitna hum jaante hain, humare Sarpanch ji ne kabhi ameeri aur gareebi main farq nahi kiya. Woh humesha jayz rahe hain. Aur rahi baat gusse ki toh woh unki biwi ke bacha hote hi achanak guzarne ke baad hua tha. Pehle toh woh bahut ghulte milte the," Her mother replied and Nandini nodded, lost in her thoughts while watching her mother as she added sugar.

"Ispe zara nazar rakhna," her mother ordered, moving out to welcome their Sarpanch as he entered. The rest of the time was spent in serving them the delicacies by her mother and elder sister while Nandini stayed in the kitchen since it was believed that all the unwed girls should stay away from guests in such a situation in case they may reject the prospective girl for any other one in the family.

After everyone was done eating, Manik looked at his sister who nodded with a smile and looked at his niece, already knowing the answer as he who was staring at the blushing girl like a lovesick puppy with a smirk. Sighing, he joined his hands and got up before saying, "Aaj aapne joh humari khaatir daari ki hum usse bohot khush hain aur agar apko koi takleef nahi hain toh hum is rishte ko aage badhana chahte hain."

His parents had tears in their eyes as everyone congratulated each other and amidst the commotion, Manik's eyes stopped as he found her, swallowing as he finally felt something after four years, even if it was only desire as she was hidden behind the wall of the kitchen, her dupatta hanging over her shoulders, giving a slight view of her cleavage and her face smeared with sweat due to working while she observed everything with a smile lightening up her entire face.

Nandini froze as her eyes met Manik's before she immediately moved away, her heart unconsciously thudding in her chest. She palmed her heart, trying to calm herself and consoling that it was fine but the damage was already done, just not in the way she had thought as her innocence and smile had awoken the beast in him to make her his.

Nandini breathed out, her heart pounding as the wooden door creaked open before his presence filled up the entire space of the small room. Averting her gaze downwards, her breath deepened as the sound of door locking filled the room while her toes curled.

She swallowed as the bed dipped beside her before his hands raised the dupatta, unveiling her face and letting it drop on the bed. Her eyes closed as he palmed her cheek, raising her head towards him before she slowly opened them, her breath hitching as her gaze locked with his dilated eyes, understanding his unspoken word and let him lower herself on the bed before they moulded themselves into one.