Chapter 3

1 month later

In a room, two bodies covered with a blanket laid on bed while her deep breathing and soft whimpers filled the room as he suckled on her breast fervently. She placed her hand on his shoulder as someone knocked on their door.

"Koi aaya hain," Nandini whispered softly, making him pull back slightly.

Someone has come.

"Kaun hain iss waqt?" Manik asked her, irritated.

Who is there at this time?

"Mumma!" Mahir, Manik's son from his previous wife, cried out. Manik gritted his teeth, irritation evident through the lines on his forehead. Nandini swallowed.

"Iss waqt usse kya chahiye?" Manik questioned.

What does he want at this time?

"Woh jab aap nahi the toh–" Nandini started, stopping mid sentence when Manik's mother voice reached them, "Mahir, beta, yaha kya kar raha hain? Papa aaj hi aaye hain naa 1 mahine baad bahar kaam se. Abhi woh aur Mumma soh gaye honge. Kal aap soh jaana unke paas, theek hain."

(Actually when you were gone– Mahir, what are you doing here, my son? Your father came back today after 1 month from work. Your mother and he is sleeping now. Sleep with them tomorrow, okay?)

"Nahi, mumma paas sohna hain!" Mahir's cries filled outside.

(No, I want to sleep with Mom.)

"Tune usse apne saath sulane ki aadat daal di?" Manik snapped in anger, making her swallow nervously while nodding. He clenched his jaw as Mahir's cries got louder, got up and wore back his kurta while she lowered her blouse, hooking it up and settling her saree before tying her hair in a braid as he opened the door.

(You got him habitual to sleeping beside you?)

"Woh beta maine isse bohot sambhalne ki koshish ki thi. Par isko Nandini ke bina ab neend hi nahi aata," Manik's mother explained and Manik nodded his head in understanding with a forced smile while taking his son. Closing the door after his mother went away, he handed Mahir to Nandini, who refused to look at Manik, afraid of his reaction.

(Actually, I tried to handle him but he is unable to sleep without Nandini.)

As he went to the bathroom, Nandini smiled at Mahir, pressing a kiss on his cheek before trying to lay him down in the center of the bed but he let out a loud cry, gripping her mangalsutra, refusing to let go of her. Sighing, she picked him back, her fingers caressing his head lovingly as he placed his head on her chest tiredly.

As his eyes closed while she patted him, Nandini didn't realize when her own eyes drooped.

~~~

After freshning up, Manik came back and saw his wife sleeping in an uncomfortable position with Mahir laying on top of her. Moving towards them, he gently tried to pry him away from her, startling Nandini in the process.

Nandini blinked her eyes in daze, looking at Manik as he placed Mahir in the centre on the bed. As he straightened, he noticed her awake and said, "Arey, tum uth gayi. Woh tum theek nahi laiti hui thi isliye maine usse bed par laita diya. Soh jao ab main batiya bujha deta hu."

(You woke up? Actually, you were not sleeping properly. So, I arranged Mahir on bed. You too sleep, I'll close the lights.)

Nandini nodded before laying down while he switched off the lamp, except one on Nandini's side. Manik laid down on his side of the bed. Half an hour passed away as Manik stared at the ceiling, tossing and turning around occasionally, sleep far away from his eyes since he had rested the whole day due to his tiresome journey.