11. Shopping but for a heist

—— Kribirsk, East Ravka —— 

People laughed and talked around them as the crows stood by the bar of the inn they had decided to stop at. A group of performers was putting on a show for the small crowd that had formed in front of a stage. The four Ketterdam rouges and Conductor however, had turned their backs to the performance and were each nursing a drink.

"So... that went well" Jesper commented on the events only mere hours ago.

Valencia wasn't sure if she'd call almost dying on a train chuging through the fold, hunted by Volkra and surrounded by her screaming friends "going well".

"The Little Palace winter fete. There's just no way we can find a way to the Sun Summoner without Nina." Arken commented while the Etherealnik beside Inej grabbed another one of the small baked goods on a plate her and the Suli girl had been sharing.

"Especially during this ridiculous party." he waved the announcement in his hand.

"Most of the second army won't miss it. The winter Fete is one of the most anticipated events at the palace. Especially with the sun summoner now with them" Valencia added taking another sip of her glass of kvas.

The thudding of his cane announced Kaz before his voice rang out calling their attention.

"We're in luck. There's a good chance we can crack on." He joined them at the table. "Now that we're three days' travel from the capital, the next play is finding a way inside the Little Palace. It turns out the Kribirsk archives house the Little Palace blueprints." Valencia's eyes moved from Kaz to the Conductor whose gaping expression made her chuckle. It wasn't a rare occasion that the genious of Kaz Brekker surprised the people around him.

"But... they're kept under lock and key. Far from the prying eyes of the masses" Kaz eyes locked with hers.

"Yes!" Jesper drummed his hands on the table before reaching out to Valencia and giving her a high five.

"What does that mean?" Arken questioned leaning towards the tall man in the bouler hat.

"Time for a heist." Jeper announced patting his shoulder.

Valencia wasn't sure if she liked the idea of the Conductor tagging along for the heist, after all she was just waiting for him to stab them in the back but it was very likely that he wouldn't do anything until they had Alina Starkov and the Crows had pretty much finished their job.

The Grisha chose to put those thoughts aside and instead shoot Inej beside her a smile.

Before they left the inn Valencia decided to say her goodbyes to the small goat that had accompanied them through their hiatus of a journey through the fold.