3| Distractions

<Glory>

I wiped down the counters trying to busy myself. It was almost Rush Hour, and my coworker wasn't going to be able to make it today, so it was just me. I had to brew coffee twice as fast and get the orders just right.

Pacing behind the counter trying to set everything up, I wasn't particularly surprised to see Deathbringer stride into the coffee shop. He's been coming here for the past week to deliberately provoke me, so that was fun.

"Hello, Glory," Deathbringer greeted with a grin. I glanced up at him and rolled my eyes.

"Is there a specific reason as to why you constantly want to bother me?" I tried to look busy as I wiped down the counter.

"It's fun," Deathbringer said after a moment. "And I'm simply trying to form small talk."

"Right," I said, not meeting his gaze. "Well, my rush hour is about to start so I'm quite busy–but I bet you already know that since you totally don't stalk me."

"I don't," he agreed, smiling as he leaned forward onto the counter. "So, how was your day?"

"It was great until you showed up," I said with a shrug as I stored the rag I used to wipe down the counter in a bin. A customer suddenly strolled in, about the same height as Deathbringer, but with brown hair. "What can I get you, sir?" I started ignoring the pinning gaze Deathbringer now had on me.

"Just a caramel latte," he said, sending me a seductive look. I pretended not to notice it as I readied his drink before sliding it across the counter toward him. "That'll be five-ninety-nine," I said with a slight nod. He slid back the money with a scrap of paper, grinning at me.

"Call me," he said before strolling back out of the coffee shop. I reached over and opened the paper. It read: Call me, beautiful, and then his number was scribbled out in messy handwriting. I scoffed, crumpling it in my hand and dropping it in the trash.

Players.

"Right, so are you going to order anything?" I asked Deathbringer in annoyance, getting uncomfortable at the way he was eyeing me, observing all my movements and body language.

"I feel like we already had this conversation before," Deathbringer said as another customer walked into the shop and ordered. "And I also feel like you should start getting used to this."

"Go stare at Tsunami or something," I said as I gave the customer her drink.

"Too feisty," he replied back as the customer walked out after paying. I glared up at Deathbringer, narrowing my eyes.

"Really?" I rolled my eyes. "Am I not feisty enough for you? I guess I'll start taking tips from Tsunami, then. Maybe then you'll understand how annoying you are being right now."

"How am I being annoying?" Deathbringer asked, far too innocently. "I'm simply standing here."

"You know what you're doing," I said, glancing down at my watch to check the time.

Any time now, I thought. My break and then Rush Hour. Fantastic.

I walked around the counter and toward the double doors, flipping the sign that permitted me to be on break for a solid 15 minutes. I then sat down at one of the tables and pulled out my homework that I hadn't had time to do earlier. Deathbringer sat down next to me.

"You're quite clingy," I said in annoyance, but I didn't move away. Deathbringer merely shrugged, sending me his signature smirk.

"You totally love it," he said.

"I wouldn't be so cocky if you knew what I was capable of," I said, not necessarily in a menacing way--more like in a teasing way.

Even though I'd never admit it, Deathbringer was kind of cute.