Chapter 11-Torture

Forbes Residence

[Caroline leaves her house out and locks the door. She turns around to find Tyler waiting by her car.]
Caroline: Hey. How's it going?
Tyler: We need to talk.
Caroline: Yeah, we do. Listen...I've been thinking about it, and I don't want to over analyze. It was just one kiss, but Matt's still kind of in the picture. We can't go there, Tyler.
Tyler: Fine.
Caroline: Great. That's settled.
[She walks toward her car and presses the button on her key to unlock her car door.]
Tyler: What happened to my uncle Mason?
[She stops walking.]
Caroline: What?
Tyler: He's dead, and I want you to tell me what happened.
Caroline: I...I don't...
Tyler: Then let me tell you: Stefan and his brother Damon killed him, because Stefan and Damon are vampires, just like you.
Caroline: Who told you that?
Tyler: Is it true?
Caroline: Let me explain.
Tyler: Did you know he was dead this whole time?
Caroline: Please...
Tyler: Did you know?!
[She nods, and Tyler pushes her angrily against her car.]
Caroline: I'm sorry, Tyler. I'm sorry.
Tyler: I trusted you!
[He regains some of his composure and lets her go. He leaves Caroline stunned and upset.]

Salvatore Boarding House

[Damon is in his bathroom, in the shower. He's listening to the news, and walks into his bedroom to watch. Andie Star is reporting on the TV.]
Andie (on TV): The authorities believe last night's assailant may also be related to the missing campers and park ranger who have yet to be found, as well as 25-year-old Jessica Cohen, reported missing this morning. The sheriff's department says investigations are pending and no further comment will be made. In related news Mayor Lockwood spoke earlier today...

Gilbert Residence

[John is in the kitchen, watching the same news channel on TV.]
Carol (on TV): Due to the recent tragedies that have plagued our town, we will be holding a memorial in Town Square today to honor all those we have lost. Join us and hope that as a community we can begin to heal.
[Elena enters the room. John switches off the TV.]
John: Morning.
Elena: What are you doing here?
John: Coffee?
Elena: We're not doing that. We did that last night. No more avoiding. Why are you here?
John: I'm here to protect you. That's all I can say for the moment.
Elena: What do you mean that's all you can say?
John: I'll tell you more when I'm convinced I can trust you.
[Jenna and Alaric enter the room. Jenna notices John's presence before Alaric does.]
Jenna: Oh God, I'm late.
Alaric: That's what you get for hitting the snooze three times!
[Jenna sees John and is surprised.]
Jenna: What the hell?
John: Good morning to you, Jenna. Alaric...
Jenna: It's okay I'm confused, right? Because we were not expecting you, like, ever.
John: Well, I got in late last night. Elena let me in.
Alaric: You know, I'm uh, probably just gonna take off.
[He looks at Elena and leaves.]
Jenna: I'm still confused here.
John: I decided to come back and stay for a while.
Jenna: Not here, you're not.
John: Actually, you can't stop me from living here.
Jenna: Actually I can, as legal guardian.
John: Yeah, about that...um, Elena, you want me to explain the situation, or would you like to do the honors?
Jenna: Okay, what's going on?
Elena: I'm sorry, Jenna. I should have told you earlier, but--
John: [interrupts] I'm Elena's biological father. There, now you know.
[He walks away, leaving Elena alone to deal with a confused Jenna.]
Jenna: What?!

Salvatore Boarding House

[Stefan and Damon are in Stefan's bedroom.]
Damon : You brought back John Gilbert? That was your big "Save Elena" move?
Stefan: I went to go look for Isobel, and I get John instead. He said he can help us, and we're desperate.
Damon: We're not that desperate, Stefan. The guy tried to barbecue me!
Stefan: Damon, Bonnie's new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed . Elena is putting all of her faith into some deal that she made with Elijah to keep everyone safe. I mean, do you trust Elijah? I don't trust him. He's an Original, he can't be trusted. It's not like we can just go up and kill him, because apparently, he can't die!
Damon: I'm still waiting for the part where John Gilbert is the answer.
Stefan: He knew about the sacrifice, Isobel told him. He said he knew of a way to keep Elena safe.
Damon: And how do we do that?
Stefan: He's not talking. At least not to me anyway.
Damon: Great work Stefan. Top notch. As if I didn't have enough problems.
Stefan: Hey, I'm sorry about Rose.
Damon: Whatever. I knew the woman for five minutes.
Stefan: And you cared about her after five minutes. I wonder what that means?
Damon: It means I care, Stefan. It means I'm changing, evolving into a man capable of greatness. Better watch your back, because I may just have to go get a hero-hairdo of my own, and steal your thunder.
[He leaves. Stefan receives a text from Caroline reading "911 NOW".]