Woe to be in Love

The rain had finally ceased, leaving the sky painted with hues of dusky pink-purple, glistening with a fresh sheen. Xavier carefully cradled Wednesday in his arms, her ankle throbbing from the sprain she had endured during her "Cinderella scenario" in the rain. They made their way through the deserted school hallway, past curfew hours, Xavier's determined steps echoing softly as he navigated the corridors. Wednesday's head resting against his chest, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat.

As they entered the infirmary, Eleanor Hargrove, the school nurse, greeted them with a warm smile. She instantly noticed the fleeting glances Xavier sent at Wednesday, his doting concern evident in his eyes, and it reminded her of a similar incident in the past.

"I'm sorry to trouble you, Nurse Hargrove,"

The boy began, his voice filled with worry.

"Wednesday sprained her ankle during the rain, and I think it needs to be treated."

The dark-haired girl was silent, seemingly uninterested. Nurse Hargrove nodded, her experienced eyes assessing the injury as she approached them.

"Of course, Xavier,"

"Let's take a look at that ankle,"

The Addams girl remained stoic throughout the examination, while Xavier stood by her side, his hand on her shoulder. After a moment, the nurse concluded,

"It's a mild sprain, but it'll need some ice and rest. We'll wrap it up, and you'll be back on your feet in no time."

With gentle care, Hargrove wrapped Wednesday's ankle, and Xavier watched attentively, his worry easing as he saw her receiving the medical attention she needed. Once her ankle was securely wrapped, Hargrove smiled at them both.

"There you go, all set," she said kindly.

"Now, take it easy and rest up, Wednesday."

Wednesday gave a curt nod, acknowledging the instructions, and made her way to the door.

Xavier nodded, his gaze never leaving the raven-haired girl.

"I'll take care of her. Thank you for your help," he said earnestly.

Hargrove smiled knowingly, remembering the first time Xavier had brought an unconscious Wednesday to the infirmary, and she couldn't help but feel a small smile tugging at her lips.

"I know you will," she said softly.

With that, the boy darted to the door, leaving the woman with a knowing smile.

•••

As they made their way back to the dormitories, a comfortable silence fell over them, as both were lost in their own thoughts.

"Your... your acts of chivalry were appreciated, Xavier,"

Wednesday mumbled begrudgingly. Xavier smiled, his hand still on her shoulder, offering support.

"I'm glad I could be of assistance," he replied softly.

They stopped at the entrance of Ophelia Hall.

Wednesday felt a mix of annoyance and something else swell inside her, and before she could think twice, she stepped on tiptoe and impulsively kissed Xavier on the cheek. He blinked in surprise, his hand instinctively moving to touch the spot where she had kissed him.

"I... I suppose I thank you,"

Wednesday muttered, her cheeks faintly tinged with color.

"You're welcome," he said, his eyes never leaving hers.

"I'll always be by your side, Wednesday. Like it or not."

"Xavier," she said, her tone uncharacteristically tentative.

"What are we, then?"

She looked down, and then back up at him, her dark eyes searching his face for an answer. Xavier's smile softened, and he reached out to gently brush a strand of hair from Wednesday's face.

"We can be whatever you want us to be," he answered sincerely.

"If you'll have me, Wednesday Addams, I'd be more than honored to be your boyfriend."

Wednesday's lips twitched into a faint smile, and she surprised herself by leaning in to kiss Xavier, this time on the lips. Xavier was momentarily taken aback, but he quickly responded, deepening the kiss with a tenderness that Wednesday hadn't expected, given to their previous ones shared back in the shed. As they pulled away, Xavier looked at Wednesday with such warmth in his eyes that made her heart display the symptoms of arrhythmia—rapid heartbeat and dizziness.

"So, boyfriend, huh?"

Xavier asked with a teasing smile. Wednesday rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

"I suppose it has a certain... appeal,"

she admitted reluctantly.

"But don't get too comfortable, Xavier. I still expect you to keep up with my dark and twisted ways. Consider yourself warned."

Xavier chuckled, pulling her into an embrace.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from you," he murmured, pressing a soft kiss to her forehead.