Chapter 4

Tragic News and Making Up

September 16, 1927

"Cousin Isobel?" I ask, looking up in surprise, my voice a little frosty. "What's going on?"

Isobel silently hands me a telegram. The baby begins to fuss a little and she offers them a finger to suck on.

I open the telegram.

Friday, September 14, 1927

12:00 pm, US Eastern

Transatlantic Telegram System

Lady Grantham,

Olivia passed away this morning. Lily, Lavender, and Lilac need to go to Downton Abbey.

-Oliver Poluti

My face pales, "Olivia passed away on Friday."

"I am so sorry, really," Isobel replies.

"Anyway, what is it you need?" I ask, my voice frosty once again.

"This morning, there was a young woman named Ruth Ploopkovia, a Russian immigrant, barely older than 20, I'd say. She arrived with these two girls and many cases," Isobel explains, sitting down in the bergère chair. "It turns out that Amelia and Larry have two daughters, Anastacia Elizabeth-Molly and Margaret Isobel-Louise. Larry wanted a son, to inherit, if he was to have children. He doesn't want Staci and Maggie, so Amelia sent them to Dickie and me. Amelia has had a change of heart. She wants the girls to grow up in a household where she is valued and loved. Motherhood changed Amelia for the better."

"Well, " I reply. "Why are you coming here? To me, after last night?"

Isobel untangles her situation further, "I came to you because, well, with what happened to your brother, it made me think. I wanted to sort things out with you last night, the moment that I got home. I wanted to come right back, to talk to you. But, I knew that our tempers had both flared, and we should have the night to cool off. I mean, my brother, Edward, and I were really close. I know that you are still processing what happened, but I can't imagine what I would do if Edward died. I talked to Violet, and she said that you were both sister and mother to Paul. I was hit hard by Matthew's death and I realised that you must've felt awful.

"I need your help. I work to help infants, but I haven't really raised any children since...since Matthew. I was wondering, for the time being, if I could have Staci and Margaret stay here. I never brought anything, from when Matthew was a baby, when we moved from Manchester."

I nod, carefully choosing my words knowing that Matthew's death hit her hard, "I think that I understand, but I'll ask Nanny McNab. I'm sure that she'd be happy to have Staci and Margaret in the nursery. Would you mind if Ruth was to come to help in the Downton nursery?"

"No," Isobel replies. "Dickie and I have no use for her at Crawley House."

"Well, you should go to the nursery now," I say, as I stand up.

"I'll have Ruth come over later," Isobel says. "Thank you, Cora."

The two of us walk out of my bedroom. Mary is standing there, at the top of the stairs, deep in conversation with Tom.

"So, you reconciled with Isobel," Tom smiles, looking up.

I give a small nod, "Yes."

"You heard about Amelia Grey?" Mary asks.