Chapter 6

A/N: Hi! So, I won't be able to update for the next three weeks, but I hope to get back into the rhythm of  updating in June/the summer! I am so sorry that this isn't like a really good chapter, it is a filler. Enjoy!

Chapter 6

A Letter From an Angel

September 20, 1927

It's been four days since I went to visit Isobel and Dickie, and three since Amelia Grey came for luncheon. I'm watching Sybbie help Marigold learn to read on the settee. Sybbie has become a good reader, and is so much like Sybil, always trying to help others even when it would be easier to just move along, minding her own business. Marigold is an avid learner, wanting to learn to read and write. She really does take after Edith in that way, both are learners, scholars, knowledge-hungry.

"Granny," Sybbie calls to me. "How do you pronounce the word spelled k-n-o-w?"

"Know, darling, like the opposite of yes, no," I explain.

"Thank you, Granny," Sybbie smiles, walking over to give me a kiss on the cheek.

Carson enters the library, carrying a small silver plate with a letter upon it, "Lady Grantham, I have a letter for you."

I take the letter, "Thank you, Carson."

"M'lady," Carson intones, bowing as he exits the room.

I read the envelope, and notice first that it's postmarked from Newport, New Jersey, and was posted the day before when the fire at Paul's house was.

Lady Grantham, Cora Crawley

Downton Abbey, Downton Village,

Yorkshire, England

The handwriting is very distinct. It's Paul's handwriting. I tear the envelope open and pull the letter out, which is several pages long, about 3. All three pages are filled with Paul's distinct handwriting, in black ink, with no smudges. Paul was always very meticulous when it came to writing. If there were smudges, he would rewrite the letter, he wanted it perfect. I carefully unfold the letter like it's an ancient artefact.

September 12, 1920

Levinson House, Newport, New Jersey

My dearest sister, Cora,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. Olivia, and I are getting on marvellously, enjoying watching the girls grow up. Mother just got over a small illness, and is recovering very well. Harold is running around, like he always has, playing, excuse me, 'working' with his yachts and leading the life that he always has. Lily, Lavie, and Lila are rather excited about visiting Downton soon.

I stumbled upon some paperwork, letters, and such earlier today, about Al Capone and Larry Grey's work together. I wanted to tell you this now, because I have an odd feeling that something bad might happen because I found those documents. I hope that this letter gets safely to you, my dear sister. The documents prove that Larry Grey is guilty of assisting Capone in bootlegging. Grey has managed to smuggle crates and crates of wine, and has other people working for him in the States, getting the wine to Capone.

The letters and documents are safely hidden away, though I won't say where in case this letter is intercepted, but I'm sure you know where they are. Olivia wants me to tell you that she sent a mac and cheese recipe to you yesterday, and that there was a cake recipe in there too. You two, always trading recipes! Your skills, our connection is so superb, that if I thought about something here in Newport, you'd be able to read my mind in England. I always thought that only twins have that connection, but, by George, we're not twins.

Olivia and I were talking about dates for when the girls could go out to see you. We were thinking sometime very soon would work best, they could spend a few months with you, perhaps? Make the ship ride worth it? Lily is nervous that if, and when, she sails over, it will sink like the RMS Titanic. I don't know how she knows about the Titanic, she wasn't yet born when it sank. I do, though, suppose that she does read a lot of books. Would sometime in November work for you? They could spend Christmas and New Year's with you and Robert. I can't believe that they haven't met Henry or Bertie yet! Lila was only a few months old last time we came out to see you, I miss seeing you and the girls, and Robert, of course.

I have a horrible feeling that something bad is going to happen because I found those documents, so to be prepared for the worst, I updated my will this morning. I had good ol' Poluti come over. I made sure that Edith's baby will get something, some money, in this new will. In case that something does happen to me and Olivia, if we both die, I am leaving Lily Cora, Lavender Martha, and Lilac Olivia in your and Robert's custody. You will get the guardianship of all three of them. Olivia and I want them closer to her family, to get to know them a little more than those sparse trips. It seems fitting that the girls go live with you, should anything bad happen; it's where Olivia and I met, where we were married, where you and Robert and their cousins, (and may I even mention dear Rosamund? She's like a sister to me.) are, not saying that it's not good for them to be near Harold. You just are more parental and have a better perspective on raising kids. I have left them enough money to give them a good start in life, and enough to put them each through college, if they choose, and enough money to provide for them until they reach 18. I will send a copy of my Last Will and Testament to you. I hope that Olivia lives long enough to see our children grow and have families of their own. I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but Larry Grey has eyes and ears everywhere here in Newport, and in Chicago. It's hard to know who to trust in this business.

The girls just walked in, and told me to tell you that they say hello and hope that everyone is doing well and hope to see you all very soon!

Please give my love to Mary and Henry, Edith and Bertie, Tom, Master George, Misses Marigold, and Sybbie, and to your dear husband, Robert, too. I love you all so very dearly.

Your loving and affectionate brother,

Paul Levinson

t9t5ab-vmx1ht56-rm-c25-1vxrkv2-lo5rz-2vm3

I finish reading the letter, before shoving it back into the envelope that still contains Paul's Last Will and Testament.

"Sybbie, Marigold, I'll be right back," I tell the two girls who are still reading. "I need to find Donk. Did he mention where he was going to you?"

"I think he's with Aunt Mary, walking the grounds," Sybbie replies, briefly looking up from the book in her lap.

I nod and walk out of the french doors that exit from the library. I easily spot Mary and Robert walking the path looping back towards the front doors. I begin to walk faster toward Robert.

"Robert!" I call out, when I reach him.

He stops walking and turns to me, confused, "Cora?"

"Mama?" Mary looks at me, worried. "What happened?"

I don't speak, but instead shove the letter toward Robert. He carefully takes the letter out of the envelope and unfolds it. Mary reads the letter over his shoulder.

"What are those jumbles of letters and numbers at the bottom?" Mary asks.

"I'll figure that out on my own," I reply.

"Paul wanted them here?" Robert asks. "Did your mother know?"

"Paul wanted them where we were," I reply. "Mother had to have known, she called, remember?"

Robert nods, "Yes, I suppose."

"Granny won't be happy that there are more Americans coming," Mary says.

I give Mary a small smile, "No, she won't, but she'll have to deal with it." I turn to Robert. "I'm going in now."

Robert nods, handing me the letter back, and I walk away.