Chapter 5

Downstairs
September 16, 1927

I'm awake by the time that Daisy comes in to light the fires. We never replaced the position after Wilma, the former scullery maid, left.
"Good morning, Daisy," I say as I sit up.
Daisy jumps a little, nearly hitting her head on the inside top of the fireplace, "Good morning, m'lady. I am so sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up."
"I'm sure that you didn't," I reply, smiling at her. "I was awake before you even came in." 
Daisy nods and continues to quickly build up a fire. When she leaves, I lay there, listening to the fire crackle happily inside of the fireplace. With the sound of the crackling, I think of Paul, how he burned inside of his own house.
I try to get some more sleep, but with the fire going, safely in the fireplace, it worries me so much. I wait about half an hour, before I know for certain that I can't stand the sound any longer.
I climb out of bed, and slide my dressing gown over my nightgown. I slid my silken slippers onto my feet and quickly get dressed. I couldn't bear to be in a room with a warm crackling fire when my brother died in one.
I wandered down to the big hall, and walked around there for a little bit. I rarely ever do this now, but I often did it with Mary, Edith, and Sybil when they were young. I head toward the stairs, the ones that lead to the kitchens and servants' hall.
There is hub-bub downstairs, Mrs. Patmore is yelling at Daisy, like usual, according to Mrs. Hughes, Anna, and Baxter. I can hear her before I even reach the bottom stair on the staircase. Baxter is sitting at the table, sewing, as Anna sits across from her, holding her sleeping son, Johnny, on her lap.
I walk down the hall toward the kitchen, where Mrs. Patmore has finally stopped yelling at poor Daisy. Mrs. Hughes comes out of the hall, where her sitting room is, surprised to see me, and is even more shocked to see me dressed, not in my normal attire, but rather dressed in a deep purple dress that I put on myself, and my hair still in its braid.
"How may I help, your Ladyship?" Mrs. Hughes asks, as she joins me on the short walk to the kitchen. "Is there anything wrong?"
"No, Mrs. Hughes," I reply, as we reach the kitchen. "I just couldn't sleep."
"Do you want me to send Baxter up?" Mrs. Hughes asks.
"No, I'll ring in a little bit. I might try to do some reading," I reply.
"DAISY!" Mrs. Patmore shouts, as she kneads some bread dough. "You have to stir the porridge! Lady Rose likes it that way!"
I give a small laugh, but succeed in mostly suppressing it. I can't look over at Mrs. Hughes, in fear that she is also trying not to laugh. I suppose that Daisy finished with all of the fires and headed back downstairs to try not to get yelled at by Mrs. Patmore.
"Mrs. Patmore," Mrs. Hughes says, walking over to the front of the work bench. "Be easier on the girl!"
Mrs. Patmore glances up, and is startled to see me, "Oh, your Ladyship! I am so sorry, I didn't know you were there."
"Mrs. Patmore," I say calmly. "I would like to confirm that you'll go over the menus later today."
"Y-y-yes," Mrs. Patmore replies, kneading the dough again. "Just come down when it is convenient for you."
I nod, "Can I help you do anything?"
I learned how to make biscuits, bread, and cakes when I was growing up in Newport. Mrs. Patmore used to let me come down and help her when Mary, Edith, and Sybil were little. Mary only liked to knead the bread, Edith the biscuits, and Sybil enjoyed just watching.
"No," Mrs. Patmore replies, then turns to Daisy. "Stir the porridge, DAISY!"
"I'll take my leave now," I say.
I walk up the stairs, and to the drawing room, where my embroidery is, when I left it yesterday. The room isn't that warm, because there is no fire. I sit there, embroidering, until I hear the first rustles of life upstairs. I peek out of the door, which I left at a crack. Robert comes down, and enters the dining room. I take this chance to hurry up the stairs back to my bedroom to ring for Baxter. Once in my room, I shut the door and decide to read for another minute or so before ringing for Baxer.
"Cora?" there is a knock on the door.
I move carefully to the door, opening it to reveal Rose. Rose is holding a very squirmy Victoria in her arms.
"Yes, Rose?" I reply, as I let her into my room.
"Cora, Anna told me that Mrs. Hughes told her that you had gone down to the kitchens early this morning," Rose says, as Victoria runs around in excited circles. "I thought that I would just check on you."
"Rose, my darling, I'm fine. I promise," I respond, as I try to capture Victoria. "I heard that your father was going to come up for the week."
"Cousin Robert told me last night," Rose replies, catching Victoria in her arms. "I think I'll meet his train. Anyways, I promised Anna that I'd take Johnny now."
Rose exits, carrying a very squirmy Victoria in her arms. I think to myself about how little she has changed since her marriage to Atticus and Victoria's birth. Rose was still like this when she came over for Bertie and Edith's wedding.
I ring for Baxter, who comes very quickly. I already have my outfit carefully laid out on my bed, and my hair unbraided. She helps me change and put my hair up. I'm wearing a black shirt waist, with a long black skirt, that doesn't flare like yesterday's but this one rather does straight down and is more sensible.
"M'lady, it's a little chilly about, you'd better take this shawl out with you," Baxter says, holding out a green shawl.
"Where is my black one?" I ask, looking out the window onto the estate.
"Of course," Baxter replies.
She quickly produces another shawl, but this one is as black as night. I accept this one, and leave my room. I carefully wrap the shawl around my shoulders, the black fringe barely floating over the ground. Baxter follows me out of the room. I go down to the dining room to try and catch some breakfast.
Robert is already in the dining room, along with Mary, Tom, Henry, and Bertie. I smile when I see Carson, standing there, very proud with a small smile on his face. Tom is talking with Bertie, Mary, and Henry.
"Cora, darling," Robert says, as he looks up from his newspaper. "To what do we owe this pleasure? Where is Rose?"
"Good morning," I reply, helping myself to some of the porridge. "I didn't want to eat up in my room, besides, I have a hospital meeting in a little bit. Rose went down to see Anna."
"Neither marriage or motherhood has changed her," Tom says, giving me a small smile.
I smile. Bertie stands up to get some more fruit, and Robert turns back to his newspaper.
"Henry, you don't mind opening the shop on your own this morning?" Tom asks, spooning some porridge into his mouth. "I have some things to do for the estate.
Henry nods, "Of course. I'm heading out in the morning for Southampton."
"Why so soon again?" I ask, a quizzical look upon my face.
"There is another huge car event going on there. There is one in San Francisco that I can't miss," Henry replies.
"I might come with you, Henry," Bertie says.
"To America?" Tom asks, confused.
"Heavens, no! Just into Ripon, to the car shop," Bertie laughs. "I'm not sure Edith would want me to go to America!"
I smile, and sit down.
Tom glances at his watch, "Robert, Mary, we have a meeting soon with the new pig man."
Robert nods, and stands up, "Well, then, we should get moving soon."
Tom stands, and pulls Mary's chair out carefully. He's still very much formal and very proper, most of the time.
Mary is wearing her mourning clothes too. Her new long sleeve shirt waist is of the new fashion. Her skirt goes down to the mid calf length. She was close to Paul, they are only 13 years apart, not a large age gap, but one big enough that you might think they weren't that close. When he came over with Mother and Harold for my wedding to Robert, he was only 11 years old. He lived at Downton until Sybil was 3 years old, when he was 21. He adored his three nieces, longed for girls, or children, just like them when he got married. When Paul was born I was 10 years old, and our father died not long after. In a way, I became both sister and mother to him.
Robert comes around to me, and kisses my cheek, "Good bye, darling."
I give him a small smile, and turn back to my porridge. After Mary, Tom, and Robert leave, Bertie and I are the only ones still sitting there.
I head downstairs to the kitchen to talk with Mrs. Patmore. Once down there, Baxter and Anna are watching as Rose plays with Victoria and Johnny.
"M'lady, is there anything that I could help you with?" Anna asks, looking up at me.
I am still very disappointed and sad that O'Brien left, but there are times when I am grateful that she is not here. A comment that has rang in my ears since she said it makes me grateful for it. 'If she was a real lady, she would've rung and gave me the button.' Sarah O'Brien will live in my mind forever.
"I'm here to meet with Mrs. Patmore," I reply, coming into the servants' hall. "I need to talk about the menu."
"She's in the kitchen," Anna replies, smiling.
I smile, and walk off toward the kitchen, where Mrs. Patmore is finishing washing dishes. Daisy is moving things from the pantry to the counters for luncheon.
"Don't put the milk and cream out yet, you daft apeth!" Mrs. Patmore exclaims.
Daisy nods, "Yes, Mrs. Patmore."
"Mrs. Patmore, is this a convenient time for us to talk about the menu?" I ask.
"Yes, m'lady," Mrs. Patmore replies, turning around.
Mrs. Patmore wipes her hands on her apron before straightening it. She walks toward her little desk. Mrs. Hughes enters the kitchen, holding a teacup.
"Nanny McNab told me that little Sybbie was telling Marigold and George about a dish she had in Boston. It's amazing that the little bairn of Lady Sybil can remember something from 3 years ago. Lady Rose also speaks of this dish, and how much Victoria eats it," Mrs. Hughes says, smiling.
It still surprises me that Sybbie is now 7. With Sybbie being 7, that means it has been 7 years since that fateful night, when Sybil died. I still tear up at that thought.
"What dish is it?" I ask.
"Macaronis et Fromage," Mrs. Hughes replies, wary of such a dish.
"Oh, yes," I respond, nodding. "Macaroni and cheese. I used to love it when I was growing up. Marigold and George ought to try some. It's just pasta and melted cheese."
Mrs. Hughes nods, before being pulled away by Emma, the new maid.
"Could you make it for the childrens' luncheon later this week?" I ask.
"Well, um," Mrs. Patmore replies, stumbling over her words. "I...I don't have the recipe."
"I have an old one, up in my room," I smile, reassuringly. "I'm sure that Lady Rose also has a recipe. Why don't you just try it?"
Mrs. Patmore nods, nervously. I give a satisfied smile.
"Well, we don't have any house parties, and it'll just be us, I think that just some simple meals would be fine," I tell Mrs. Patmore. "The Dowager, and Lord and Lady Merton will be joining us for dinner a few nights. Make what is most comfortable for you."
Mrs. Patmore nods, and I leave the kitchens. Rose is still playing in the servants hall with Johnny and Victoria.
"Rose, darling," I say, poking my head in. "Nanny will be wondering where Johnny and Victoria are."
"Victoria, darling, go to Auntie Cora," Rose says to her toddler, then turns to me. "Cousin Cora, you wouldn't mind carrying her, would you?"
I shake my head, as I scoop Victoria up into my arms. Rose already has Johnny in her arms. Anna kisses his hands, before Rose and I leave downstairs.
"Please, Rose, darling, I think that it's just fine if you call me Cora. Do you happen to have a recipe for Macaronis et Fromage?" I ask as we ascend the stairs.
Rose replies, "Yes. I brought one, Nanny wouldn't let me leave without one. If I was to take Victoria with me here, and she got a disease, she should at least have a meal she enjoys."
I laugh a little, "You have to do what Nanny says. I remember when Edith got married, and  you spoke of how Nanny had said that there were bound to be diseases on board. I'm really surprised that she let you take her with you this time."
Rose laughs and smiles.
Once reaching the main hall, I set Victoria down. Johnny chases Victoria around in circles, endlessly.
"Lady Rose," Carson says. "I just had a call from Mr. Aldridge's office in New York. He's going to be arriving next Friday in Southampton."
"Really?" Rose asks, smiling. "Well, I'll be at the station to greet him! Thank you so much!"
Victoria collapses and Johnny promptly pounces on her. I pry him off of her, but he squirms out of my grip. I pick Victoria up, carefully.
"What are you doing?" a sharp voice asks from across the hall.
My head jerks up, my arms wrapped around Victoria. There, standing across from me, is Mama. She is standing there, a violet chiffon and silk dress encasing her figure, and a hat to match. Carson has her purple coat, with a collar that fur clung onto, over one arm.
"Mama," I say. "We weren't expecting you, I don't believe."
"I lived here for 40 years. I am Robert's mother, I have the right to come here," Mama replies, sharply. "I came to check on you."
Mary comes out of the library, carrying several books. Tom follows, looking very annoyed, but trying not to look annoyed.
"How very maternal, Granny," Mary smiles. "I never think of you as that." She kisses Mama's wrinkled cheek, then sets the books down on a little table.
"Hmph. Bran...Tom," Mama replies, walking towards me. "Cora, my dear!"
I smile and kiss her cheek gently. She pats my hand and enters the library, ready to battle her son, with whatever she came to battle out.
"Is Robert in here?" Mama asks.
"I'd expect so, Granny," Mary replies, taking Victoria from me. "He doesn't want to continue to modernise the way that we run the estate."
"I thought that you and Tom were running it on your own," Rose replies.
"No, Papa feels that he should have a say in the larger aspects of things. Tom and I run the day to day part of the estate," Mary replies.
Mary and Rose walk up the stairs, helping Johnny and Victoria. Mama is already in the library, leaving Tom and I standing awkwardly in the hall.
"Have you gotten any more news on Mr. Levinson?" Tom asks, cautiously.
"No," I reply. "Did Mary tell you about the news that I got last night?"
"No," Tom replies, as we walk up the stairs. "How are you, after last night? I know that Cousin Isobel seemed very mad after you returned from downstairs."
"Well, she threatened to go away, like she did during the war. I'm sure she won't actually go anywhere," I say, reaching the gallery. "I'm sure that she'll come back soon if she does go away."
"I'm going to Ripon after luncheon," Tom says. "I'll check in on her on the way out to Ripon."
I smile, "Thank you, Tom."
"By the way, I had a letter from Lucy, Lucy Smith. It seems that she and Lady Bagshaw would like to come here, in a few weeks if it is convenient for you."
I nod, "I'll call Cousin Maud, later. If you want me to. To arrange a date for them to come, Tom."
"Thank you."
I smile as I walk down the hall. I go into my bedroom. My fire is out, and I sit down comfortably in the chaise lounge, my shawl still wrapped around my shoulders. I reach for my book, when there is a soft and tentative knock.
"Who's there?" I ask.
"Isobel," a voice replies.
"Come in," I respond.
Isobel comes in, carrying a baby girl, a few months old and holding the hand of a wobbling one year old. Like Mary, she is dressed in black.