003 can't say no to free booze

003

can't say no to free booze

It wasn't uncommon for the Pogues to see mirages

It wasn't uncommon for the Pogues to see mirages. Staring up into the sky or out into the open ocean for hours on end, hoping, praying something— anything would come rescue them would do that.

What was strange, however, was hearing them. That was why, the metallic whirring of an engine flew overhead, Bianca was convinced her sleep deprivation had finally driven her insane.

She hadn't slept all night, not after her conversation with Sarah at the SOS beacon. The blonde girl, however, managed to fall asleep a couple of hours later when they headed back to the Pogue camp.

Bianca stayed up, waiting for dawn to peak through ivory clouds like she did every morning. But this time, she wasn't alone.

The distant rumbling was so distinct from the constant lapping of waves against the shore, Bianca shot up instantly. She took a hesitant step forward and stared up at the sky, following the sound. When her eyes zeroed in on a plane flying above them, her heart leaped to her throat.

This was no mirage.

"Pope," Bianca whispered to the closest person to her. She blinked to make sure she wasn't hallucinating and the plane didn't disappear, her tone grew more fervent, "Pope!"

Pope groaned, turning onto his side with furrowed eyebrows. He too had been jostled awake by the plane's engine and slowly rose to his feet. He glanced up at the dull sky and when upon realizing it wasn't a figment of his imagination, his widened eyes turned to Bianca.

"Plane," He uttered in disbelief.

Bianca nodded, her chest rising and falling with shaky breaths. Finally, she nodded at him, "Go."

Pope took off in a sprint toward the SOS signal but not before grabbing his shoes and JJ's zippo lighter from the blond boy's side. This roused him from his slumber and he shifted with a groggy yawn.