Down The Road Back to You ੈ✩‧₊˚

Song: Paris, Texas by Lana Del Rey
(fitting for the chapter)

Neither Zahra nor Seth had spoken to Sasha after Summerslam. She had run so far so quickly after Seth called her name in front of a crowd of his closest family and friends. They say drunk actions are sober thoughts, Ashley seems to have applied that idea to the incident earlier. Sasha was worried for Seth's health despite how much she'd actually admit it and she wanted to confront him about the other night. It was a day after Summerslam when she and Ashley were on a road trip with Roman Reigns to their next destination for Monday Night Raw.

Ashley hadn't confronted Sasha about the incident either, she had been preparing herself for anything but nothing happened. She was sitting in the backseat while Ashley was in the passenger seat, listening to music on the radio.

"I'm hitting the gym later on, wanna come with?" Roman nudged Ashley who was always preoccupied with her phone. "Not really feeling it right now." She said. The two had been talking all day whilst ignoring Sasha's presence, not that she was talking anyway.

After a long drive, Roman stopped at a gas station when Ashley said she needed to use the toilet. Sasha stepped out to buy Snickers and cold water. Roman was at the counter when he paid for her things alongside his' "Thanks." She said. "No problem." He took the fruit bar he bought and head out. She followed him thinking he was going to the car but he stopped in his tracks and looked back at her. The sky was dark, they were basically in the middle of nowhere surrounded by badlands. "What the hell is your situation with Colby?" Roman asked randomly. Sasha was about to explain herself but he cut her off before she could "You can tell me what you both have is some kind of immature fling but we both know a fling doesn't last this long. 5 years with no contact doesn't leave a mark this deep. He called for your name over his own girlfriend's when he was unconscious." Roman stated something Sasha is not ready to hear. She had paused the thought process of it the ride here but now she was faced with the problem.

"It was only for a couple of months Joe." She explained. "I met a girl once, we dated for 3 months and yet it took me 2 years to move on from her." He made his point. Pablo Neruda once said, "Love is so short, Forgetting is so long." Sasha had spent nights questioning him, questioning herself, and spent nights filled with self-inquisition only to find out the next day that she was still wrong. "Why'd you leave?" "Why'd you ever stay?" She wanted to ask, but she was scared that his answer would hurt her, or that it'll make her want him once again.

"This is your business how?" Sasha put stern eyes on her face. "Because Colby is my friend, and if it hasn't been clear to you, he's hell-bent to talk to you." When Roman said this, Sasha started to giggle hysterically, mainly because Seth never made an attempt to seriously talk to her, he had chickened out in all the times he did try to. "That's ridiculous. He's done nothing but expect me to forgive him directly, and what's the point? He's happy in a relationship now isn't he?" She remarked she hated that she was blamed as an accessory to his sufferings when she was a victim of one. She knew that if they had known what he did to her, they would've never forced her to talk to him again. But in sympathy, she never said a word.

"Sasha, you're not a fool." Reigns got closer to her when he noticed Ashley returning from the toilet. "Just...don't be so harsh on him." He said, entering the car. Sasha sat in the backseat when Ashley could feel the tension between the two. "Okay, I'm all set." She said. Roman begin driving once again, but she could feel his piercing green eyes staring at her through the rearview mirror for a couple of seconds. She opened her phone to see three messages from Seth. She took a long breath and opened those messages.

Colby Lopez to Mercedes Varnado
23/08/2015 at 10:34PM
Mercedes, I know this is a long overdue apology that I've been meaning to say for the past few years but I'm a stupid coward for not doing so and for hurting you in the first place. I know I'm the last person you'd want to talk to but I feel guilty. Every day I see you, I see a constant reminder that I fucked up a chance with a person I love so much. The times we had, it wasn't all that bad, wasn't it? Most of the time we had fun, we laughed together until I hurt you. I know I did, I feel bad that I did, and I don't know why I did what I did. I sacrificed a love like no other for some temporary joy. I never meant to hurt you the way I did, and I hated that I lost you. I'm shit with words so please just give me 10 minutes to explain.

Colby Lopez to Mercedes Varnado
23/08/2015 at 10:40PM
God Mercedes I'm so sorry, please give me a chance to explain and apologize for being a shit person throughout our relationship.

Missed Call from Colby Lopez at 10:46

Colby Lopez to Mercedes Varnado
23/08/2015 at 10:57PM
I wish I could go back and change things, but I can't. All I can do now is take ownership of my mistakes and ask for your forgiveness. I understand that forgiveness is a personal journey, and I don't expect you to forgive me right away or at all. I just wanted to express my genuine remorse. I want to have the opportunity to apologize to you in person and make amends, as I believe that you deserve that closure. I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me

Sasha hated that she wanted to listen to him, her heart had betrayed her healing process. She thought that Reigns had stared at her to answer his text messages but she was less than enthusiastic to do so. "Please, just answer him," Roman said out of the blue. Ashley was confused but she didn't dare ask any questions yet.

Sasha sighed and pulled out her phone once again, the light from her phone blinding her in the dark. She thought about the times when she had just turned 18, a hazy distinct memory that was fading from her mind. She would go through days forgetting an action yet she'd spend years remembering how it made her feel. But she remembered Colby. She knew him. She loved him. This part of it is hard to take. She remembers Colby in his car, Colby in front of a lake back in Davenport, and Colby in his childhood room in the hours before noon, snoring softly. She watched sweat drip appear from his hairline and slide down the side of his neck as she snuggled against his shoulder blade and the arch of her foot was pressed over the top of his, and he watched her sleep, feeling so awake.

*Flashback*
"Jesus Colby wakes up, it's late." Mercedes shake the mattress of his bed. Seth was shirtless, she pulled the pillow covering his face, revealing a charming smile he sparked while his eyes were still closed. "Hey, baby girl." He opened his brown eyes. "Why do you always wake up so late? Is it like a sickness or something?" She frustratedly got on the bed, poking him so he would wake up.

Mercedes peeked over at Colby, who was fast asleep in bed, his face once again buried in the pillow. She smiled mischievously, feeling determined to wake him up in a fun and playful way. Mercedes leaned down and gently planted a kiss on Colby's cheek, then another on his nose. He murmured something unintelligible and turned to bury his face further into the pillow, trying to resist her attempts to wake him up.

"Alright, I guess I'll have to bring out the big guns." She reached over to the side table and grabbed a small feather that she had hidden there. She lightly traced the feather along Colby's arm, causing him to squirm and giggle in his sleep.

"STOP STOP" He screamed. She giggled "Not until you wake up." She demanded, tickling him with her bare hands now. "Okay, okay, I'm up! You win" He admitted defeat when he stood up wide awake. Mercedes grinned ear to ear. Colby stripped naked to take a bath, heading to the bathroom. He closed the door for a while before opening it once again to give her a peck on the lips.

*End of Flashback*

Mercedes Varnado to Colby Lopez
23/08/2015 at 11:14PM
Tomorrow. 5 minutes.

How did we get here? She thought