Chapter 28

Thranduil led you through the winding halls and back towards the West Wing. You no longer felt any apprehension at seeing that crimson curtain at the bottom of the stairs. You easily stepped past as he moved it aside and followed him up into the queen's chambers. There was a sort of reverence within you as you walked with Thranduil past that portrait of the queen and down the corridor. She was gone but she was everywhere and your heart hurt for Thranduil and Legolas, for their loss of such an important figure in their lives.

"I really don't understand." You said as you followed him through to a room you hadn't seen before. He didn't stop, striding towards the back of the room where a curtain fell down. Pulling it back, he revealed a hidden doorway. Surprised, you stepped through after him and looked around.

Thranduil had led you into a room that looked as though it had been cut into pure stone. So used to a different sort of look within the rooms of these halls, you stopped for a moment and just took it in. The room had a slightly ethereal light to it and, as your attention came back to Thranduil, you noticed the small pool of water that he was now standing beside. He was watching you but his eyes looked a little sad. He didn't say so but he hadn't set foot in here for many years... more years than you would have been able to imagine if he had given you a number.

"What is this?" You asked, stepping over to him, glancing from the water to his face.

Thranduil cast his gaze over the pool, watching the flowers floating on the glass-like water. "This." He sighed softly. "Is my wife's mirror. If you wish, you have only to touch the water and it will show you your father."

You blinked in amazement. "It will?" You took a hesitant little step towards the pool, tilting your gaze down to the water. It was still and clear and had a beauty about it you wouldn't have expected from water, of all things.

"Perhaps it can help to settle your heart for this night." He watched you with a soft frown, wishing there was a little more he could do here and now to help with how much you very clearly longed to see your father. Thranduil had missed your pining somehow, almost forgetting about your father's entire existence, his attention having been more focused on the effect you had been having on him... on his heart.

"I can arrange, tomorrow, for you to send him a letter." He continued after a beat, making you look up at him with slightly wide eyes. "If you would like." Thranduil cleared his throat. "My messenger could wait for him to pen his own response, even..."

You blinked at him, a little astounded by his words, unable to prevent the corners of your lips pulling up into a smile even if you'd wanted to. "Really?" You were already turning away from the mirror and stepping towards him before he could respond. He nodded, about to give you an answer but found himself completely taken off guard a moment later as you threw your arms around him. "Oh, thank you!"

Thranduil didn't say anything but he returned the gesture with a soft smile, his arms slowly moving around you. His eyes closed briefly as he focused on the feeling of you in his arms. Reluctantly, he slowly pulled back, looking down at you. "Would you like to look into the mirror?" He asked.

You looked over at the pool again, thoughtful for a long moment, before you nodded. "Yes."

Thranduil turned his gaze back towards the water, moving to sit down upon the stone next to the pool. "All you need to do is place your palm out upon the water." He explained. "Tell the mirror what it is you wish to see... and it shall show you." Thranduil glanced at you as you moved to join him, sitting down next to him on the stone border of the water. "It will show your father to you as he is right at this very moment."

You fixed your stare upon the mirror, gazing into the water as you slowly moved your hand out over the surface. It was crystal clear and yet you could see no bottom. You realised that the ethereal look of the room appeared to be emanating from the pool itself, making it obvious this was no regular water.