adira II

warnings: kidnap, violence, SA/r*pe (no detail), references to drug misuse and su*cide

forty nine

adira

Adira ran straight to Spencer when they got into the Court. He wrapped his arms around her, one hand stroking her back soothingly with his thumb, her arms wrapped tightly around his midriff, pulling him as close to her body as she could. He could feel her shaking in his arms.

"Are you okay?" He whispered gently against her ear.

Her first instinct was to recoil from the sensation, but she focused on his arms around her, the smell of his cologne and the feel of his tweed jacket that was clenched in her closed fist and her brain finally associated his voice with the physical sensations.

"Yeah." She whispered, although she knew he probably wouldn't even be able to hear her because of the height difference, and because her face was buried in his chest.

They eventually pulled out of each other's grasp, but Spencer kept his hands resting gently on her upper arms, still soothing her with the small movement of his thumb.

"Are you ready?"

She took a deep breath. "I want to see him realise his whole world is about to come crumbling down. He can't hurt anyone else in prison, and that'll kill him."

Spencer smiled at her, making sure she could see how proud he was. Neither of them were out of the woods yet; Spencer was still having sessions with Kathryn at least twice a week, but very often had increased them to nearly every other day since that day; and, like Adira, he had recognized that the next couple of days were going to be hard, so he had agreed to attend an NA meeting at least once a week. He had bought the idea up with Adira the day before she was discharged, that she could always join him, she had told she would think about it. And he believed her.

The two of them finally remembered that there were other people with them. Spencer was the first to address them, trying to avoid the intense judging stare from Hotch.

"Mrs Alcott." Spencer greeted.

She just smiled knowingly. "Spencer. Thank you for speaking to Adira last night."

"Mom!" Adira said, failing to hide her embarrassment.

"Oh, Adira, relax. Anyway, I thought you said it was just a phone call?"

Much to both Spencer and Adira's surprise, Hotch shared the same knowing smirk with Adira's mom. Spencer caught Adira's eye as they were desperately trying to avoid the smiling eyes of the others in their group. She smiled coyly and quickly turned her eyes away, smiling down at the floor. But she could feel Spencer's eyes continue to look at her. Of course, she couldn't see the look of total infatuation that Mrs Alcott and Hotch could.

"Dad!" Adira said loudly, quickly diverting everyone's attention. Unfortunately, that simultaneously bought everyone's attention back to why they were here.

"Hi, baby." He hugged her tightly as she ran to him. He smiled at Agent Hotchner and Spencer politely, but he didn't even try and hide his sadness and anger from them - they'd see it all before. His wife held one of his hands that was wrapped around his daughter.

"Where have you been?" Adira asked curiously as she broke away from his grasp slowly.

"It doesn't matter, sweetheart. I'm sorry I wasn't there this morning." He kissed the top of her head, pulling her into his side.

Every pair of eyes followed the sound of a lot of sudden, loud successive footsteps. The Jury were making their way across the lobby and being taken into where Adira was before she took the stand.