Chapter 30

"Okay, we're here," Mel stated. Crumbling up the map he had borrowed and tossing it into a recycling bin, he looked back at Buddy. Trotting alongside his boyfriend, the dachshund remarked, "Let me guess, Max's directions made no sense?" Snorting, Mel replied, "Max has no sense of direction."

"Obviously, we had a whole search party for him that led all the way to Brooklyn," Buddy pointed out with a snicker. Both dogs burst out laughing. As they were reduced to giggles, they continued walking down a small alley that led to a dead end. There were dumpsters and crates everywhere. Sniffing the air, Buddy asked, "Where are we? I smell Italian food."

"Italo Brothers Diner. Max says Gidget brought him here for their... fifth date?" Mel murmured, trying to remember. Shaking himself, the pug spoke softly, "Wait right here." While Buddy waited, Mel walked up to the back door. Scratching at it, he let out a loud bark. After a moment or two, the dogs heard someone coming towards the door. The pug backed up as it opened, revealing a mustached man of Italian origin. Kneeling down, the man remarked, "Why hello there puppies! Are you hungry?"

"I like this guy," Buddy commented. Wagging their tails, he and Mel barked. Chuckling softly, the man got up and declared, "One moment please, my brother Dominic and I will have something prepared." Inside, another man called, "Mario! Is it Gidget and her boyfriend Maxie?" The door closed as Mario responded to the question, cutting off the conversation. Sitting down beside Mel, Buddy licked his boyfriend's cheek lovingly and murmured, "Thank you for this."

"I would do anything for you, you know that right?" Mel whispered. Smiling happily, Buddy nodded his head. He leaned against the pug, nuzzling his face against the soft fur. This was absolutely perfect.

"Here we go!" Mario declared, returning. He carried a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. Behind him was another man that looked like his brother. Maybe this was Dominic. This other man pulled a small wooden crate over. Mario then set the plate of food down upon it. Patting Mel and Buddy on the head affectionately, he spoke softly, "Enjoy your meal you guys." Both dogs barked their thanks as the two men returned inside. Taking a seat at the crate, Mel nuzzled Buddy as he stated, "Bon appetit."

"I know this is still technically the beginning of our date," Buddy commented, "But this is so far the best date ever." Wagging their tails in delight, the pair shared a kiss before they dug into their spaghetti dinner.