4

Syra POV:

I stare at my reflection and see someone I don't even recognize. Wearing a grey maxi with mirror details on the cloth. I'm not gonna lie this dress is beautiful but I don't feel beautiful in it. My hair is let loose with curls reaching my lower back. Going away from the mirror I sit on my bed trying to calm down my anxiety.

I've always had anxiety but after that incident it's gotten worse. I can't be alone in a room with another guy I don't know. I can't even trust people who say they're my family.

The knocking on my door brings me back. Smoothing out my maxi I get up to open the door.
"Your mom is" he says but doesn't finish.
"She's what" I say staring at his blank face.
"Oh um she's calling you down. Everyone's here" he says clearing his throat, still staring at me as if he saw a ghost.
"What, do I have something on my face" I say walking towards the mirror when he catch my hand with his and pulls be back.
"You look beautiful" he says staring at me with this unfamiliar look in his eyes.
"Stop lying" I say shocked at the words coming out of his mouth.
"I'm not lying, you really do look beautiful" he says
"Thank you" I say in a small voice
"What I don't get any compliments back" he says in a cocky way.

I look at him and take his appearance in. I'm never gonna admit it he looks handsome no matter what he's wearing. Even if it's his normal clothes or a fancy suit he has on, he will always look handsome to me.

"Keep this nice attitude up and you might get a compliment next time" I say
"Yes ma'am whatever you want" he says smirking while giving me a salute.
Damn that smirk. Ugh what's happening to me, why am I reacting like this.
I snap out of my trance and release my hand from his and leave him standing in my room.

Slowly walking to the main hall I hear loud chattering.

"There my beautiful girl is. Oh I've been looking everywhere for you" Ma says in a fake nice voice.
I don't answer her but look at the people who were standing with us. Two old married couple and a guy that looked a little older than me.
"Syra let me introduce you, this is Mr and Mrs Khan and there son Omar" Ma points to the people standing with us.
"Asalamualykum(hello)" I say putting on a smile.
"Walaykumasalam, what a beautiful daughter and with nice manners" the aunty says
"Oh Mr and Mrs. Khan let me show you around the palace" Ma says as if I don't know what she's doing.
All three of them leave, leaving Omar and I behind in awkward silence.
"Let me guess you didn't know you were being set up with me" he says letting out a small chuckle.
"Oh I knew but wasn't expecting it to happen so soon" I say rolling my eyes.
"Sorry let me introduce myself properly. I'm Omar, I work for my dads real estate company that soon will be handed down to me. I've worked for about 5 years there but i graduated with a masters in chemistry but decided I want to follow in my dads footsteps" he says as if he's in a job interview.
"Are you here for a job interview" I say chuckling at him.
"Oh sorry let me tell you about my hobbies" he says
"I like to play cricket and read" he says making me excited that we have something in common.
"I read too, what do u read" I say
"Textbook, newspapers, and sometimes daily blogs" he says
"What do you read" he asked
"Oh same thing you know newspapers and all" I say not wanting to continue the conversation.
"Do you have any future plans" I asked
" yes I want to take over dad's company and settle down with my wife and 7 kids" he says making me choke on air.
"7 kids" I almost scream
"7 isn't a lot I mean my wife will take care of them so why not and I love big families" he says
"And what will you do for the kids if your wife's taking care of them" i ask crossing my arms.
"Bring in the money obviously" he says laughing
"What's so funny I don't get it. Did I miss the joke" I say in a blank tone.
"No no it's funny because what else were you expecting me to say" he says stopping his laugh
"Oh idk maybe you can help on the side with the kids. I mean it's you who wants the 7 kids right" I say slowly starting to get annoyed.
"Yeah but it's her duty to do that not mine. I'm the man of the house I'll bring in money to provide for us so I am doing something for the kids" he says.
"What if she wants to work, what if she doesn't even want that many kids" I say my tone getting louder.
"But that's her job she should want that many kids. When we get married aren't you going to provide me with kids" he asked confused.
"Are you like mentally deranged why do you think we're getting married and why in the fucking hell would I want to have 7 of your kids" I yell at him.
"A women shouldn't curse that's impolite and mannerless" he says ignoring the whole point of what I just said.
"I swear to god you're getting on my last nerve and if you say one more word I will take your brainless head and bang it against this wall which will soon have your blood on it" I say getting closer to him to scare him off.
"That's very vile language" he says pulling the last thread of my patience.
"Oh you" I say going to grab his neck with my hands to choke him when someone interrupts and pulls me away from him.
"Woah we don't want a murder case on our hands now do we" Haider says still holding my arm from attacking the asshole.
"I don't appreciate you holding my fiancé's arm like that, please let go" Omar says.
"I'm not your fiancé you arrogant piece of shit" I say trying to get out of Haider's hold.
"Well I'm your fiancé's friend so I need to take her away for something important she'll be right back" Haider says as he drags me to the balcony where nobody is.
"What was that, and fiancé what the hell you didn't tell me you were getting married. I thought it was just an arrangement for you to meet some guys but that's it." he says releasing my arm.
"I didn't even know I was getting married. I guess Ma said yes without even asking me, again" I say
"That's the best your Ma could do. He radiates masculine power and sexism" Haider says
"Hopefully he won't be like the last one" I say
"The last one, there were more before " he questions. Oblivious to the other monsters Ma has forced me with.
"Yeah Haider others. A lot happened while you were gone so catch up" I say getting angry.
"Syra I didn't know this is what was happening. If I knew I would've came back" he says making my heart beat faster.
"No you wouldn't. Stop acting like you care when you obviously don't" I yell at him forcing the tears to not come out.
"I care that's why I said what I said, stop trying to push me away. Since I've been hear you've been so distance. I knew you'd be mad but get over it it was such a long time ago" he says
"I can't just get over it Haider. You weren't there. I needed you the most and you weren't there for me. Yeah you missed out on hundreds of matchups my mom set me up on. You missed out on a lot of things, you can't expect me to get over it. You probably got over it but you didn't go through what I went through" I say letting the anger I've been holding in out.
"Why are you acting like you're the only one that went through shit. I was suffering too and you weren't there for me either" he says.
"I guess we're even" I say not having the energy to fight him. I sit down with my back resting against the railing.
"I guess so" he says joining me on the ground.

Silence falls between us and it's not the awkward kind but more of a calm silence that was needed.

"I'm sorry for yelling" he says in almost a whisper.
"I'm sorry too" I say back.

Silence once again consumes us and we sit there until the party ends.