11

♡ ♡ ♡

" 'cause the drinks bring back all the memories. and the memories bring back, memories bring back you "

♡ ♡ ♡

today is an off day for the cincinnati bengals and meredith got invited to go out to eat with joe. just the two of them. this will be their first time hanging out together since they decided to put their past behind them and be friends.

meredith is currently sitting on the counter as her dad braids her hair.

one thing about david obrien is that when he learned that his wife was sick. he made sure he knew how to take care of meredith. he now knows how to make his daughter's favorite meal, how to braid her hair and a few other things.

david finishes the final touches to meredith's braids. he smiles at his final product and kisses the top of his daughter's head.

"no matter how old you get, you will always be my little girl" he pretends to wipe a tear.

"i am so lucky to have you as my dad" she smiles. "i need to head out"

"have fun, tell me all about it" he waved as meredith walks out of the house.

♡ ♡ ♡

meredith arrives at skyline chili where she sees joe. She walks over to him and he engulfs her in a hug.

"hey you made it," joe says.

"i couldn't miss it" meredith tries to play it cool. she hasn't felt joe's skin against hers in a long time. she realizes how much she truly missed this feeling.

they sit down in a booth and order. joe's smile never leaves his face.

"so, if you don't mind me asking, how did you end up convincing olivia that you are going to lunch with me?" she asks genuinely curious.

"i lied" he laughs. "i told her i was getting lunch with ja'marr. ja'marr is going to back me on this"

"at least you have a plan" she takes a sip of her sprite.

"trust me, i always need a plan when i'm dealing with olivia" he responds. "anyways i'm really happy we can be friends"

"me too" meredith blushes.

"i really enjoyed our summer together" he adds.

"i thought we were putting that behind us?" she states.

"we are" he breaks eye contact and looks at the ice in his cup. "fine, i wouldn't hate reminiscing on the past. just this once"

"ok, as long as it is just this once" she concludes. "because, between me and you, i would prefer to live"

"what do you mean?" joe gives meredith a confused look.

"i don't want to step on olivia's toes. she can be very intimidating" she twirls her drink with her straw.

"i'm really sorry about olivia," he says truthfully. "she chases away all my friends. i mean she can be really freaking rude to the people i actually care about."