09: Present Day

You see Yoongi again the next day.

You'd had lunch with your grandparents who looked really happy to see you. They were quite neutral all those years ago, not really knowing how to handle the whole situation because they, too, were upset at your mom for leaving their son. When you left, they acted a little bitterly but you know they tried to be gentle and accommodating during your succeeding visits. They didn't really reach out when you stopped coming home.

But the mix of guilt and joy in their eyes from earlier was something that affected you. They realized that so many years have passed them by and life is too short, as they get older and start to get weaker. They said that they wished they'd driven out to Seoul to see you; maybe then you could feel that your family is proud of you.

It was a lot to handle, as it wasn't something you were prepared for. But you managed to keep your emotions at bay, only letting a few of the tears fall once you got inside your car.

You drive to the antique shop immediately. You'd seen a couple of really nice vases that you want to gift your grandparents, planning to instruct their caretakers to make sure there are fresh flowers everyday.

A part of you is hoping you'd see Yoongi there, remembering after yesterday how it felt like to be with him to just talk about things, or feel things, or savor things. After that afternoon, you felt some form of closure over the past years since your breakup, something you hadn't realized you needed.

There was no need for that when things ended. He made it pretty clear why he thought it was better to stop trying, and though it broke your heart in ways that were difficult to repair, you understood.

Talking with him yesterday felt like putting an old hidden photo in a frame and placing it on the topmost shelf in your home. There's so much value in it, so many memories that you treasure, and there's still so much to gain from being able to see it, even if you won't have that moment or that joy ever again.

You enter the shop and wait behind a customer who's inquiring about refurbishing a vintage dresser that he has. Yoongi gladly discusses the specifications with the client, knowing that his dad will be excited about this project.

You watch him listen intently and have bursts of smiles in long intervals as he gets more information. His long hair frames his face nicely. You like how it highlights his soft features, making him look more gentle than you're used to.

The way your heart races at the sight of him should be a little alarming. This isn't a man you should be attracted to again, even if you convince yourself that you're merely appreciating his beauty. It's like gazing at that hidden old photo that's now displayed on the shelf and admiring how he looks in it. You don't want to think of any other implications. After yesterday, it's been enough just being able to get comfort from him. It's been enough knowing that you've both moved on well and are happy where you are.

The customer leaves and you approach the counter. "Hey," you say.

"___," he looks up, worriedly. "Were you with your family again?

"Yeah, but don't worry," you assure him. "It was just with my grandparents. It was harmless but just a little sad. I was hoping to get them some vintage flower vases."

"Ah, right, we've got a few," he says, taking out some pieces from the back and from one of the shelves inside. He places them on the counter for you to assess. "You can inspect them and see what you like."

He helps you choose, and then helps you contact a local flower shop to arrange regular deliveries to your grandparents' house, and then gives his no-holds-barred review of each Italian restaurant in town so you can decide where to meet up with your drama class teacher for dinner in 2 days.