f o u r t e e n

JJ MAYBANK

I didn't mean to run off the way I did last night. Commitment scares me. It's not like I even know what Ivy and I are. It's a stressful situation.

"Where's Ivy?" Pope asks me as I sit at the booth they chose.

"She said she'd be here." I shrug, looking at my watch. Seven fifty-seven am.

"You didn't show up with her?" Kie questions me.

"No? Why would I?" I wonder out loud, running my fingers through my blonde hair.

"You like her, JJ. It's so painfully obvious." Pope chuckles.

"I do not." I hit his shoulder.

I do. I definitely do.

"JJ, she's hot. She has attitude. She basically another version of you. You definitely have the feels for her. I haven't seen you take to any touron since you met her." Kie explains.

"Change the damn subject." I groan, throwing my head back.

"Do you guys really think John B's gone?" Pope's voice softens.

Not the subject I wanted.

"You can't just kill a Pogue that easy." Kie rests her head on her hand.

"Exactly. I haven't been able to sleep thinking about them. What if they're in danger? God I hope they're okay." Pope stresses.

"God I can't sit here and listen to this. Where the hell is she?" Kie questions me.

"I don't know." I hold my hands up in defense. An angry Kie is never a good sign.

• • •

She never showed up. We waited for two hours. She didn't even bother to text us or anything. We decided it was a lost cause and to go walk on the beach.

"I'm going to run by her house." Kie worries.

"Don't. If she doesn't want to see us, then she doesn't want to see us. We cant force her." I sigh, kicking the sand underneath me.

"Something's not right." Kie stops in her tracks.

"Drop it Kie." I groan.

"You can mope all you want, but I'm going to her house." Kie says as she turns around.

"Wait, is that her?" Pope points to two people.

Ivy's long, dark hair is very recognizable. She's standing with a guy, laughing. Her body is visibly smaller than before in the tan patterned bikini she's wearing. I couldn't actually hear her laughter, but it's playing in my mind.

Her and the unknown guy are knee deep in water. She seemed comfortable. As if she completely forgot we existed.

"Who's she with?" I ask, trying not to sound angry.

"Fuck." Kie gasped quietly.

"That's Rafe." Pope's jaw dropped.

"No, no, no, no." I panicked.

He got to her.

"JJ, don't do anything stupid." Kie grabbed my arm as my fists tighten.

"What the fuck?" I grit through my teeth.

He had to of convinced her it was John B. He had to of manipulated her. No way in hell she would do this.

"Shit, she saw us." Kie freaks out, turning around and dragging me.