one

______________________

Endorsed by confidence, Mona held up the latest of her exam papers.

In rough red ink that often lacked coherence was the score for a test she'd dedicated a whole night toward. Mathematics wasn't exactly her favorite subject, she had friends who were better situated with it, but she didn't particularly hate it. As long as it benefited her GPA and contributed to the scholarship she'd been working hard at, she would put care into passing the class. 

"Why, an adequate result of 100, no less to be expected from the greatest scholar." One of her friends, Fischl commended, peering over to glance at her grade. Since the day Mona had met her, Fischl had always spoken with poise and elegance. "Though with intentions of reverence, the holy princezzin must extend her concern. Should ye eternally remain needlessly consistent in even the most trivial of exams?"

"Fischl's right, how do you do it?" Lumine, another one of Mona's friends, whined as she stretched out her arms over the table. The blonde and her twin brother, Aether, were skilled in more social or physical activities. "The rest of us are still stuck getting 70s. I don't think we'll ever escape from the average mark."

Mona shrugged, chuckling heartily at their praises. She had been a straight-A student for as long as she could remember. Every year Mona had always topped her classes, exceeding her reputation of being an intellectual. She was often referred to as brilliant by the teachers, and her work was usually-if not always presented as an example of academic excellence.

But these accomplishments did not come in vain. She had spent countless hours revising and learning the topics, sometimes even going ahead of the curriculum for the sake of preparation. The school was well known for offering a scholarship to the highest-ranking student by the end of the year. Although, this year, the bar was more competitive due to only one spot being opened. And Mona could not let this opportunity pass, given her current financial state. 

From the very start, even from when she was a freshman, she was focused on this one goal. And until now, just like all the years before, she was determined to graduate top of her grade.