Chapter 39: Re:BorN - Rise again... This is your... Legacy...

Inferno

Far away from the battlefield, Kevin barely escaped with his life and the wound he sustained. Taking out from his pocket what appeared to be pills before ingesting it, quickly regenerated his lost limb. Afterward, he scowled that his master's initial order failed, yet he felt somewhat satisfied that he killed Rosso. Seeing that boy's face reminds him of his most hated enemy in the past.

Kevin: *pant* *pant* It's better than getting killed...

After taking heavy breaths from the wounds he sustained and mustered too much stamina to escape, Kevin eventually regained his composure.

Kevin: ...but at least this would be the last time I see the face of my hated enemy...

Suddenly, his instincts kicked in when he sensed something propelling at him fast with a raging roar. Kevin quickly drew his blade and parried, revealed to be an enraged Mei glaring at him with murderous intent.

Mei: KEVIN!!!

Kevin: *scoff* So... the prodigal child returned...

Mei: Why did you make me do this, Kevin? Why?!

Kevin: Still defiant to and astray from our master's cause? What a shame...

Mei: I don't give a damn about you or Mundus! I want answers, now!

As she said that, Mei aimed her blade at her new enemy with intent.

Mei: Before I'll kill you without mercy...

Kevin: This isn't how Lord Mundus and I had planned, but we chose to deceive you without second thoughts. It is time we reveal our true intention.

In order to save humanity, they had to eliminate those sinful people in the Human World. They claimed people never change, regardless of era.

Kevin: Some of the rebel devils resisted, but no one withstands us for long...

As Kevin recounts his past, his face contorted with scowl and dismay. Reminding himself of the time his initial goal was foiled by the Legendary Dark Knight and the latter's human apprentice, the Legendary Demon Slayer.

Kevin: *grimace* At least until one human ruined my chance to subjugate humanity... slaying my flesh... and defeating my master, resulting in our plans being foiled!

He rants with absolute dismay after he remembers his horrible times in the past until he calms himself down and continues.

Kevin: When Lord Mundus and I learned of the existence of the Third Herrscher, in Chiba Academy. We figured there was someone weak enough and bear the hatred they'd been holding back...

It came to the Herrscher of Thunder's attention when she heard of the related to the false scandal that ruined her life completely.

Mei: *gasp* And you're telling me... my father's false arrest... the false scandal...

Kevin: Yes. It was our doing, along with my organization - the World Serpent, so we can awaken the Herrscher of Thunder that resides in you. But not everything was according to our plan... *scowl* not when a Sparda was here.

Mei: You mean Rosso...? Why does it have to do with him interfering with your plan?!

Kevin: My master is afraid of the grandson of the traitor, due to not only the boy being trained by the Legendary King of Knights' late descendant and the retired Demon Slayer but he inheriting both the holy sword and relic from the late Artoria Pendragon. Knowing that boy was a hindrance to our plan... until we learned of his weakness and sought to exlpoit it...