Chatper 1: Marley & Kitty

Marley stood in front of her locker, staring blankly at the metal door. The events of the previous day were like haunting memories that replayed in her mind like a never-ending nightmare. She was jolted back to reality when she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Hey," Kitty said softly, her voice laced with concern.

Marley turned to face her. "Hi," she replied in a hushed tone, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I wanted to talk to you," Kitty said, her eyes filled with sincerity. "I know I've been awful to you in the past and I'm so sorry for everything I've done."

Marley looked at her, surprised by the sudden apology. "Why did you do it?" she asked.

Kitty sighed heavily. "I don't know. I guess I was just trying to fit in and be popular. But that's no excuse for how I treated you."

Marley nodded slowly. "I forgive you," she said.

Kitty smiled, relieved. "Thank you," she said gratefully.

"I can't believe it," Marley said, shaking her head. "I never thought something like this could happen here."

"I know," Kitty replied. "It's so scary to think about."

They stood in silence for a moment before Marley spoke up again.

"Do you think things will ever go back to normal?" she asked.

Kitty shrugged. "I don't know," she said. 

"It's just so hard to process," Marley said, her voice shaking. "I keep thinking about all the people who were affected by this. It's just not fair."

"I know," Kitty replied, her voice filled with emotion. "It's so hard to see our friends and classmates going through this. I just wish there was something we could do to help."

They stood in silence for a moment before Marley spoke up again.

"I'm just grateful that no one got hurt...and that I'm alive, and you're alive too." Marley said.

Kitty nodded. "Me too."

They stood in silence for a moment before Kitty began to cry while she spoke up: "I was so scared yesterday Marley," she said, her voice shaking. "I thought... I thought we were all going to die."

Marley nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. "Me too," she said quietly.

Kitty turned to face Marley and they looked at each other for a moment before they both broke down in tears. They wrapped their arms around each other in a friendly, but heartfelt embrace and cried together, letting out all the fear and emotions they had been holding in.

They held each other tightly as if they were both thankful to be alive.

As they pulled away from each other, Marley looked at Kitty with tears still in her eyes, but a friendly and encouraging look. "We'll get through this together," she said firmly.

Kitty nodded, tears still glistening in her eyes. "Thank you," she whispered.

They smiled at each other before walking through the halls together, trying to make sense of the school shooting that had shattered their lives the previous day.